The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Division of Scientific Education and Professional Development (DSEPD), Office of Policy, Partnerships, and Recruitment has a full-time, virtual internship available for the Fall semester (October 1 – December 31, 2021).
The mission of DSEPD is to improve health outcomes through a competent, sustainable, and empowered public workforce. DSEPD provides support and services to build the capacity of state and local health departments. DSEPD provides experiential service and learning opportunities in epidemiology, informatics, economic analysis, policy, leadership, and management. DSESP sponsors multiple approaches that impact people, tools, and systems for strengthening the workforce to improve public health. Finally, DSEPD provides training and continuing education for health professionals.
The intern would be provided policy, partnership, and recruitment experiential learning opportunity and be mentored and supervised by Public Health Analysts. The intern would learn from division leadership and gain experience in conducting complex policy, legislative, budget, and issues analyses, and program and project planning.
- Budget & Performance Measurement: Assist with the development of the annual budget formulation submissions and supporting documents to include strategic planning, performance measurement, and accomplishment narratives reporting.
- Issues Management: Assist with the mitigation of risks and maximize opportunities by coordinating proactive outreach and responses to the department, CDC Washington, Office of Appropriations, policy makers, and the public.
- Policy Analysis: Assist with development and effective communication of division policy priorities, ensure policy implications are communicated, and address opportunities to improve resources.
- Strategic Recruitment: Assist with updating the division recruitment strategy and evaluation plan, to include efforts to improve diversity and inclusion across fellowship programs and specific approaches such as webinars, job search sites, and conference promotion.
- Partnerships: Assist with reevaluating division policy priorities to update the division partner factsheet to reflect current priorities for partners, update the division partnership framework and evaluation plan including the parentship logic model, and build partnerships with STEM and minority serving institutions and partners.
- Virtual Onboarding: Assist with the development a standard operating procedure and checklist for virtual onboarding.
- Congressional Engagements: Assist with conducting proactive Congressional outreach to include coordinating field fellows meeting with members in their area and monitor and analyze legislation for division impacts and assist with finalizing a tip sheet for congressional engagements.
- Information Management: Conduct an assessment to determine the best platform to collect fellowship data for reporting policy, partnerships, and recruitment activities and assist with the development of a SharePoint Site for tracking, storing, and reporting office activities to include data visualization, to include an end of year report. Create and disseminate a DSEPD policy office intranet/internet site to communicate services and value add.
- State Profiles: Assist with the development of state profiles to show the impact of division programs by congressional district/state.
- Survey Development & Analysis: Assist with developing and disseminating a recruitment survey to new fellows and compare results to previous survey results and use data to revise recruitment strategy.
- Literature Review: Conduct a lit review of effective skill assessments given executive order on measuring skills not degrees for job qualifications and model workforce funding opportunity language.
- Strong written and oral communications abilities
- Professionalism and excellent judgment and decision-making skills
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Quick learner and quick problem solver
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to express innovative thoughts/ideas
- Proven ability to work independently and as a team member
- Strong organization skills, multi-tasking, and time-management skills
- Exhibits an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness