Central Connecticut State University eSports Center is seeking to hire a University Assistant that will serve as the eSports Coach / Director. The eSports coach will be responsible for maintaining the eSports team for the academic year 21-22. This position will manage all aspects of the eSports program, including, but not limited to, practice planning, game preparation/scouting, in-game coaching, recruiting, budgeting, scheduling, team travel, equipment/apparel purchasing, staff supervision (if applicable), academic monitoring, compliance with university policy and eSports code of conduct, and general supervision of student-athletes. This position will operate program within all College and conference guidelines.
The eSports Coach will serve as primary representative for eSports to both on-campus and off-campus constituencies. Foster a positive and inclusive team atmosphere and support student athletes’ academic progress, retention, and graduation through mentoring activities and guidance to appropriate support services. Conduct training sessions to aid in the skill development of team members. Instruct, teach, and coach student-athletes on game strategies and performance principles. As well as keep informed of contemporary trends, tactics, techniques and strategies, which includes developing a philosophy of what to teach and how to implement.
Hours: 19 hours per week (no benefits)
Schedule: Nights and weekends required.
Compensation: $19.00 per hour, maximum of $24,000 year
Note: Dual employment for current state employees will not be considered.
Alongside coaching and recruiting the coach will be responsible for:
- Scheduling and coaching intercollegiate matches, tournaments, and scrimmages.
- Designing practice plans and scheduling practice.
- Scheduling time in the eSports Training Center including appropriate set-up, tear-down, and storage of equipment.
- Maintaining uniforms and equipment.
- Demonstrating leadership: sportsmanship, and conduct becoming of the coaching profession.
- Coordinating team travel, housing, meals, and money and submitting a travel itinerary at least two weeks prior to each overnight event.
- Recruit qualified participants who have an interest in one of the University’s academic programs; recruitment and retention of participants are both key aspects of the position.
- Mentor student-athletes with regard to life skills and preparation for life after their sport and college.
- Monitor academic progress of participants.
- Enforces all safety policies and procedures.
- Maintain continuous contact with faculty, staff, and students to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions.
- Assist in marketing and promotion of CCSU eSports program and training center.
- 3-5 years of gaming experience preferred
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to utilize resources, data, and tools effectively. Demonstrated track record for sustained measurement of program outcomes
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion