The Human Resources Internship will report to the Director of Human Resources with daily direction from the Recruitment & Talent Manager and coordination with the Human Resources & Payroll Assistant to support recruitment, onboarding, and payroll processing for Chautauqua Institution.
- Learn about the cross-cutting strategic imperative for talent solutions at Chautauqua Institution, and its subsidiary the Chautauqua Hotel Company, at our main campus in Western New York, a satellite office located in Washington DC, and for telework opportunities central to the ‘future of work.’
- Understand recruitment objectives that align with organization-wide and department-specific hiring goals, support recruitment strategies, and carry out recruitment activities.
- Engage in recruitment initiatives to attract a diverse and qualified talent pool for a broad range of seasonal opportunities for a prism of operating departments across multiple industry sectors in the arts, education, hospitality, recreation, religion, and administration.
- Contribute to an employer branding strategy that generates excitement, engages candidates, compliments products/services, compels candidates to apply, and aligns with culture.
Talent Management Team
- Function as a ‘content expert’ for Ultimate Kronos Group (UKG) HRIS, specifically the Recruiting Gateway, to manage content on internal and external job boards and guide the flow of qualified candidates to hiring managers with high-priority, and often simultaneous, needs.
- Assist a talent management team comprised of (50+) hiring managers to guide seasonal recruitment processes. The Institution employs (165) employees on a ‘year-round’ basis and hires, and rehires, (1,600+) employees on a seasonal basis for summer operations.
- Support recruitment strategies and initiatives for a seasonal recruitment process with deeply shared responsibilities within the Talent Management Team and Human Resources. Coordinate, register for, and attend recruitment events and advocate management support through a shared calendar.
- Serve as an energetic and enthusiastic ‘point of contact’ for candidates in the development of talent pipelines, participate in recruitment/networking events, and communicate regarding opportunities.
- Author compelling, inclusive, and vibrant job descriptions for approval, open/close jobs on company and partner websites, and engage a talent community using recruitment software or other methods.
- Build and foster industry-specific partnerships to develop diverse talent pipelines regionally/nationally.
- Plan for an annual ‘job fair’ to support seasonal hiring and internship placement on campus or virtually.
- Participate in a virtual orientation process that integrates leadership, focuses on culture (mission, vision, shared values, and norms), and emphasizes ‘connection’ through relationships and networks.
- Generate surveys regarding the candidate experience during onboarding/offboarding.
- Collaborate with internal ‘onboarding owners’ and talent managers to ensure that the recruitment and onboarding experience is aligned with the talent philosophy of the Institution.
- Pursuant of a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Psychology, Industrial & Labor Relations, Business Administration, Communication Studies, or closely related field and meets college/university requirement for participation in an approved internship program preferred.
- Students actively enrolled in a collegiate program who elect to pursue voluntary experiential learning in lieu of a credited internship through college/university will also be considered.
- Minimum 1-year experience in an office environment or non-profit setting required; strong preference will be given to candidates with prior internship or work experience in Human Resources.
- Preference will be given to candidates who dually possess experience with seasonal workforces and/or the hospitality industry and Human Resources.
- Relationship-building experience to support a premier recruitment experience for candidates.
- Helpful approach to support talent managers on recruitment strategies and initiatives.
- Social networking to build and engage a thriving talent community and professional networks.
- Project management capabilities and skills to navigate multiple projects, full cycle, simultaneously.
- Self-starter who will be a team-player focused on work that builds a foundation of process/procedure, accomplishes routine responsibilities, plans for the future, and meets goals.
- Independent judgment to navigate complex circumstances, make recommendations and resolve problems using methods consistent with the culture, ethics, best practice, policy, procedure, and law.
- Creative, innovative thinking and fluency of ideas to support initiatives and be a collaborator.
- Author of informed, well-written content to build respect and trust of constituents and to leverage content for recruitment purposes, such as emails, job descriptions, marketing materials, surveys etc.
- Student learner who is eager to gain professional and technical knowledge through educational workshops, reviewing publications, establishing networks, and attending conferences.
- Technology expertise related to daily use of MS Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, One Drive/Share Point, and Teams) and internet research/navigation to utilize numerous recruitment websites and social media avenues (Social Page Admin, Facebook Ads/Jobs, LinkedIn Ads/Jobs, CHQ.org Web Content) to promote employment opportunities at Chautauqua Institution.
Discovering Your Chautauqua Experience
There are countless ways that our talent will engage with our mission, vision, and diverse communities, and you are invited to immerse yourself in our programming as a gateway to this experience.
Employees will receive the Traditional Chautauqua Gate Pass, which provides access to all Amphitheater programs except popular entertainment (up to two nights per week) and lawn seating for all performing arts events at the Pratt Avenue performance pavilion (a new, temporary venue for 2021). Designated popular entertainment events in the Amphitheater will require a separate ticket purchase, if tickets are available.
In addition to a Traditional Gate Pass, employees, and their families, will receive full access to our current and historical programs online at CHQ Assembly.
Joining Our Talent Community
Qualified candidates should apply online at CHQ.org/employment. Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume, with optional portfolio documents, for consideration. You are encouraged to learn more about Chautauqua Institution at CHQ.org and the 150 Forward Strategic Plan at 150fwd.CHQ.org.