Child Trends is looking for an Accountant who can handle General Accounting and – payments to subcontractors and consultants, ensuring that invoices align with contract terms and scope of work. The position requires effective communication with our external research partners and our internal research staff. It involves handling highly confidential and sensitive information and interaction with staff at all levels of the organization. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize, and organize a diversified workload. This is a permanent full-time position with benefits. This position is temporarily remote.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for preparing general ledger related entries.
- Responsible for reviewing vendors and consultants’ invoices for appropriate documentation and approval.
- Process expenses charged to Child Trends credit cards and reconcile monthly credit cards statements.
- Process payments to Child Trends vendors. Communicate with senior accountant and the Accounting Manager to ensure that payment aligns with contract payment terms.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts as assigned.
- Responsible for monthly bank reconciliation.
- Assist with month-end closing and annual audit.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications/Skills & Knowledge Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting with at least one year of direct related work experience required.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and communication skills necessary to be successful.
- Familiar with the Federal Travel Regulation
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy. Ability to work well with others and handle multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Analytical ability to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems, and prioritize work.
- Keen attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials, and meeting deadlines.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Must be very efficient with Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to learn quickly.
How to Apply:
Please follow the “apply” link to submit your application. When asked by the system to upload resume, please upload one document that includes your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. Materials must be combined into one document in order to be uploaded. If you have any difficulties with this process please email the requested materials to recruitment (at) childtrends.org and make sure to reference the position in the subject line. No phone calls please!
Child Trends, founded in 1979, is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization dedicated to improving the lives of children by conducting research and providing science-based information to improve the decisions, programs, and policies that affect children. With annual revenue of $19 million and 144 employees, our clients include federal, state and local government agencies, foundations, and service providers. Our headquarters is located in Bethesda, Maryland, with offices in Minneapolis and Chapel Hill, North Carolina. In 2016, we were recognized as a Great Place to Work and were 2nd in the list of 100 Best Workplaces for Women.
Child Trends is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities encouraged to apply.