Children of Promise, NYC (CPNYC) is a community based organization located in Brooklyn that provides a year round, unique, integrated service model that meets the distinctive needs of children with an incarcerated parent(s). CPNYC’s mission is to provide children of incarcerated parents with guidance, support and the resources necessary to effectively develop leadership skills, form positive social relationships and enhance academic performance. Implementing the principles and best practices of youth development, this innovative after-school and summer program infuses a mental health model.
The Jr. Counselor Intern works collaboratively with the program staff and assists with the development and implementation of age and grade appropriate curriculum for our after school and summer program. CPNYC’s participants range from kindergarten to eight grade.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement the CPNYC curriculum, helping school age children improve literacy competencies, values, and physical fitness in an activity based environment.
- Assist counselors with planning and creating innovative age appropriate activities. Develop lesson plans to conduct them on a daily basis; read, tell stories, lead songs and games.
- Ensure the health, safety, and well being of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Help maintain enrollment and daily attendance records
- Assist children with homework and guide students in their academic growth.
- Understand and communicate the philosophy and goals of the CPNYC Program to the students and families.
- Assure accurate distribution and accounting of snacks.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Ability to teach, motivate, and influence children in a team environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills including a strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
- Enjoys organizing academic enrichment activities.
- Extremely reliable and patient.
- Comfortable working with a diverse population within a non-profit environment.