Farm and Market Assistant Job Description
City Green requires all interns and employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted in order to qualify for employment. All applicants will be asked to furnish proof of vaccination prior to being offered a position.
The Mission of the City Green Farms and Markets Program is to increase access to fresh, locally grown produce in urban communities of Northern New Jersey and to foster an understanding of food systems, the benefits of locally grown organic produce and the importance of healthy food choices. Each week throughout the market season
(June- November), City Green operates farm stands in Clifton, Passaic, Bloomfield,
Caldwell, and Paterson through our Veggie Mobile, in addition to a CSA program at our
Clifton farm. The Veggie Mobile works to bring fresh fruits and vegetables to neighborhoods that need it the most. With a growing number of markets and two active organic farm properties, we are looking for an enthusiastic, hard-working, team-oriented, and flexible Farm and Market Assistant to join our team.
Farm and Market Assistants serve as seasonal staff for our farming, Veggie Mobile, andCSA operations. They support every aspect of getting fresh produce to people’s tables, from seeding to harvesting to packing to selling. Farm and Market Assistants will set up City Green’s farm stand and Veggie Mobile markets, complete customer transactions while providing excellent customer service and information about the fruits and vegetables for sale, and break down the farm stand at the end of each market stop.
Additionally, the Farm and Market Assistant will record transactional data, close out the register after each market, account for market inventory, engage customers at the market, and more. The Farm and Market Assistant will also work with City Green’s farm team to prepare and maintain crop beds and fields, harvest, process, and pack vegetables in preparation for City Green’s Veggie Mobile and CSA programs.
Market Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Loading and unloading crates of fresh fruits and vegetables for transport to and from market locations
● Driving the Veggie Mobile to and from each market site, which include local libraries, senior centers, municipal buildings, and more
● Setting up and breaking down farm stands, tents, tables, produce, and displays according to City Green standards
● Ensuring that produce and other food products are stored, displayed, and handled properly
● Completing cash and federal benefit transactions (SNAP, WIC, FMNP) at all Veggie Mobile market sites
● Implementing the “Good Food Bucks” incentive program at all market sites for SNAP, WIC, and FMNP customers
● Collecting and recording transactional data for each market site
● Providing friendly and respectful customer service to all Veggie Mobile shoppers
● Performing other duties as assigned
Farm Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Participation in all aspects of field work under the leadership of our Farm
Manager, including: weed management, precision cultivating, transplanting, direct seeding, bed forming and amending, harvesting, washing/packing, and overall land stewardship on our property including mowing and weed whacking.
● Participation in all aspects of seeding, propagation, and watering
● Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. regularly & ability and willingness to work in often uncomfortable physical positions for short or long periods of time (example: we work on our hands and knees often and we work outside in all weather).
● Performing other duties as assigned
Additional Responsibilities include:
● Fostering and maintaining positive relationships with partners throughout programs
● Maintenance of records and files for contacts and program materials
● Support for printed materials (flyers, newsletters, reports, etc.)
● Support maintenance and updates of of annual production schedule
● Procuring materials within organization guidelines; manages expense reporting
● Timely and professional communication with collaborating staff and outside program partners
● Participate in “All Hands On Deck” activities, where all City Green staff cooperate on a large project, event, educational program or volunteer day
● Support initiatives and programs throughout the organization as needed
● Be prepared to represent City Green in a variety of situations with partners, guests, funders, government officials, other stakeholders, and community members
● Adhere to City Green’s principles and policies
● Adhering to City Green’s policies and practices around diversity, equity and inclusion
● Be prepared to support interdepartmental events activities
● Follow organizational policies and standards for safety and liability
● Must have excellent customer service skills and be comfortable working with diverse customers
● Comfortable completing and recording monetary and federal benefit transactions in fast-paced settings
● Friendly and positive attitude required
● Familiarity with food access, locally grown produce, organic agriculture, and food systems
● Comfortable working outside in all weather conditions and capable of lifting 40-50 lbs
● Must be available on select nights and weekends as needed
● Familiarity with federal benefits (SNAP, WIC, FMNP) a plus
● Ability to speak Spanish preferred
● Valid driver’s license with access to own vehicle for transportation to and from market sites strongly preferred
Training will be provided. Several full-time and part-time positions are available.
This is a seasonal position (May – November). Farm and Market Assistants must be available on select weekends and evenings.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
Email: opportunities @ city-green.org
Mail: City Green, 171 Grove St., Clifton, NJ 07013