Who are we:
City Green is a 501c(3) urban farming and gardening organization based in Clifton, NJ working to revitalize urban areas through agriculture and educational programming. It offers practical, technical and financial resources in support of environmental stewardship, equitable access to healthy food, and ecologically sustainable communities.
The Mission of the City Green Farm operation is to demonstrate sustainable and organic urban food production; increase access to local farm-fresh food; and provide meaningful job and volunteer opportunities in an agricultural setting. Through interaction with the farm operation individuals create a connection to their food; value the importance of open space; gain an appreciation for local agriculture in their own community and understand the role sustainable farming practices play in a healthy ecosystem.
City Green distributes the food we grow through a Farm Stand and Mobile Market program, which aims to connect with local governments and community organizations in northern NJ to provide increased access to, and affordability of local, farm-fresh food ensuring good food is available for all. The markets are enhanced by a Good Food Buck nutrition incentive program that incentivizes federal food beneficiaries to purchase healthy food grown by City Green and other local farms.
Who You Are:
You are responsible, flexible and personable, have at least one season of experience working on a production farm, (or have experience working physically demanding jobs) and can be happy working as an integral part of a small farm crew. You’re ready to take on the physically demanding schedule, tasks, pace and inevitable challenges of the farm season with consistency and good humor. You’re ready each day to learn, take and give direction, be patient with yourself and others and are excited about working intensely with all types of people. You have the ability and interest to work long hours outside in any type of weather – wind, rain, heat, cold. Summer heat and humidity in New Jersey can be extreme yet the farm production is at its peak during this time.
- Greenhouse: participate in all aspects of seeding, propagation, and watering.
- Crop Production: participate in all aspects of field work under the leadership of our Farm Manager, including but not limited to: weed management, precision cultivating, transplanting, direct seeding, bed forming and amending, harvesting, washing/packing, and overall land stewardship on our property including mowing and weed whacking.
- Volunteers: Enthusiasm for working with volunteers and high school interns out in the field—you will lead individual volunteers and group volunteers of all abilities in field tasks.
- Harvest and Post Harvest Tasks: we have an intensive harvest schedule for our markets and wholesale accounts and our farm assistants take the lead in running the harvest days, the wash area and maintain organization in our walk-in cooler.
- Distribution: assist in vegetable distribution to our markets and wholesale accounts. Experience in customer service and ability to talk with customers is very important.
- Be clean and organized! We pay close attention to maintaining a clean and organized farm—you must be respectful of using shared tools and maintaining an organized space.
- Desire to participate in the City Green community while at work—participate in daily morning and afternoon meetings with the farm crew. Our farm assistants work together most of the time—you must like working with other people as well as independently.
- Ability to show up on time every day and be excited about working for a farm that finds success in routine and structure—while finding joy in the way farm work can change from day to day. (in other words, be adaptable, while enjoying structure!)
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. regularly & ability and willingness to work in often uncomfortable physical positions for short or long periods of time (example: we work on our hands and knees often and we work outside in all weather).
Compensation: This is a seasonal position starting immediately and ending in October (flexible end date). Schedule will be three days a week and compensation is $13/hour DOE with access to weekly vegetable share.
To apply send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
City Green Farms at South Branch Preserve, Mt. Olive, NJ
This land is permanently preserved and owned by the Land Conservancy of New Jersey and is farmed by City Green. We are currently cultivating 5-6 acres for mixed organic vegetable production on this 20 acre portion of the preserve. We strive to greatly improve this land by implementing our regenerative, organic farming practices to grow a diverse range of vegetables. City Green Farms at South Branch Preserve is a much larger production farm than our Farm Eco-Center but operates very similarly. Aside from being slightly more mechanized (with the use of tractors), this is also an intensive market farming operation, meaning our production is maximized per square foot, utilizing 150’ long 48” wide beds with efficient rows and spacings. Our farmers work at a fast pace and adhere to a systematic labor schedule in order maximize production in a small space.