The Mission of Growing Strong is to provide paid summer employment to high school students from urban communities in Paterson and Clifton, enhanced by a youth development program that ensures college and career readiness. By working in an urban farming and market enterprise or educational garden camp program, interns positively engage with their community; benefit from purposeful mentorship and peer collaboration; and foster a personal connection to food systems, healthy eating and the environment.
City Green is seeking a Summer Crew Leader to supervise and serve as a mentor to a crew of four high school interns to work at City Green’s Farm Eco-Center. Growing Strong is structured as a youth development program and Crew Leaders will implement activities to all high school interns including: job training, college and career readiness workshops, team building, mentorship, etc.
There are two different positions open for this job.
Farm and Markets Crew Leader: Supervise and serve as a mentor to a crew of three high school interns to work at City Green’s Farm Eco-Center and/or community gardens planting, weeding, and harvesting organically grown produce. The crew will also be responsible for setting up and running City Green Farm Stands and Mobile Markets to sell and distribute healthy local foods to create food access to healthy local foods in surrounding communities. Responsibilities include:
- Oversee and manage daily farm production tasks and the operation of weekly off-site City Green Markets to sell and distribute local foods
- Train and supervise a crew of four high school Farm Crew Members for their daily job responsibilities
- Farm work: planting, abundant weeding, watering, harvesting, trellising, addressing pest issues, etc.
- Market activities: prepping produce for market, setting up and running City Green Farm Stands and Mobile Markets, providing excellent customer service, implementing customer surveys and documenting/reporting the day’s sales
Garden Camp Crew Leader: Supervise and serve as a mentor to a crew of three high school interns to work at City Green’s Learning Garden and Satellite Garden sites to implement hands-on educational programming to groups of children PreK-3rd grade. The crew will also be responsible for maintaining the garden spaces via planting, weeding, watering, and harvesting the food produced there.
- Oversee and manage the daily implementation of garden camp to 20+ visiting garden campers, ages PreK – 3rd grade
- Garden Camp: prep and set-up for daily camp program, implementing educational stations at the garden sites, providing behavior management, completing daily attendance and observation logs
- Gardening: planting, abundant weeding, watering, harvesting, trellising, addressing pest issues, etc.
Additional responsibilities for both positions include:
- Complete daily reports including crew timesheets, progress reports, incident forms, and any other workplace documentation
- Facilitate Crew Member transportation using City Green vehicles
- Foster the crew’s connection to the earth and the source of their food through proactive participation in daily job tasks and educational workshops
- Cultivate relationships between crew members and local community stakeholders
- Engage crew through implementing teambuilding activities, workshops, and games
- Assist and/or lead workshops on youth development, organic gardening, or best teaching practices
- Collaborate with the team of Crew Leaders to ensure all crews are successfully participating in and completing the program throughout the summer
- Act as a mentor and role model for all crew members to be productive and take initiative as an employee, teammate, and community member
- Motivate and inspire the Growing Strong interns to work hard, grow, and succeed in personal and professional goals
- Ensure crews uphold the guiding principles, philosophy and standards of the City Green Growing Strong program
- Direct experience mentoring and supervising high school-aged youth
- High energy and a consistently positive attitude
- Basic knowledge in agriculture and gardening
- Comfortable with strenuous physical labor, outside, in the summer heat all day
- Ability to motivating a group of young people while fostering their potential
- High energy and a consistently positive attitude is a must
- Ability to drive City Green Vehicles, such as a pickup truck and mini-van.
- Comfortable driving City Green Vehicles (truck and minivan) filled with gear, produce, and distracting teens
- A bachelor’s degree (completed or pursuing); in the following preferred areas: education, youth development, environmental science, agriculture, or related
- A valid driver’s license and clean driver’s history
This position will include approx. 20-22 hours of work a week between June 21 – August 20.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to:
Mail: City Green, 171 Grove St. Clifton, NJ 07013