The Climbing Instructor / Team Building Assistant position is responsible for assisting the Team Building Instructor and Outdoor Recreation Specialist in leading group programs on the challenge course facilities and ensuring the safety of participants. This position requires some decision making with occasional review and guidance.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities
- Assists in the facilitation of group programs on the Carolina T-Wall, Alpine Tower, Caribbean Ropes Course and low ropes.
- Assists in the facilitation of groups through team building activities and exercises that are pre-determined by the Outdoor Recreation Specialist.
- Responsible for ensuring participants have met the pre-determined objectives for attending the course.
- Ensures that all safety precautions are being followed at all times.
- Assists the Lead Facilitator in emergency rescue situations.
- Maintains cordial relations with public and sets example in general conduct for entire staff.
- Administers first aid to patrons when needed.
- Corrects infractions of challenge course rules and regulations by patrons.
- Employee may be asked by the supervisor or acting supervisor to perform other duties that are not listed but are essential to the job.
Minimum Qualifications / Requirements
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and with the public.
- Ability to use safe work practices while on the job, including following proper and established procedures in the use of equipment, and wearing the appropriate and/or required safety and personal protective gear. Ability to protect and maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines with effective results.
- Ability to read, write, and understand the English language with proper spelling and grammar to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to make decisions in the best interest of both the patron and the city.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain steady communication.
- Must be able to work at heights up to fifty feet (50ft) high.
- Standard office procedures, systems, and practices including the use of a computer and computer software.
- Must be able to work non-traditional hours, including evenings and weekends.
Education, Training, and Certification Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school degree or equivalent, one year of college preferred.
- Previous experience with highs/lows/knots/climbing, preferred.
- Previous experience and / or certification in all aspects of facilitating groups through both High and Low type Challenge Course events preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record per the City’s drivers Use of Vehicles for City Business policy throughout employment with the City.