The City of Leawood, Kansas will be accepting applications for the Recreation Attendant position until November 30, 2021.
The Recreation Attendant position is a part time, non-benefits eligible position. This position is eligible to receive merit based pay increases upon the employee anniversary date.
- Average number of hours will depend on the event schedule, but hours are predominantly evenings and/or weekends.
- Peak Season (May – October) approximately 40 hours a month/10 hours a week.
- Off-Season (November – April) approximately 15 hours a month/5 hours a week.
The Recreation Attendant greets patrons, answers questions, and assists in the execution of community center classes, facility tours, and privately hosted events. The Recreation Attendant will be assigned to the Leawood Community Center and the Lodge at Ironwoods.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities
- Safely and promptly facilitates the opening and closing procedures for the Lodge at Ironwoods and Leawood Community Center. Responsibilities include ensuring facilities are clean and properly set, necessary trash/personal items removed and facility is un/locked and dis/armed appropriately.
- Assists patrons with any event related needs that might occur including but not limited to help with set up, technology, and reiteration of rules, regulations, and expectations of policies.
- Works with third party vendors during facility rentals concerning load-in, set-up, and tear down.
- Oversees the operation and troubleshooting of audio/visual equipment during scheduled events.
- Assists full-time staff with tasks and projects as needed.
- Employee may be asked by the supervisor to perform other duties that are not listed but are essential to the job.
- Employee will be assigned to the following locations:
Lodge at Ironwoods
- Provides tours and information regarding large-scale rentals such as weddings, personal celebrations, and corporate events.
- Works independently, with little or no supervision, in the execution of private event rentals with any needs including but limited to last minute layout changes, interactions with Leawood security officers, re-stocking and general up-keep of restrooms, kitchen, and collaboration with outside vendors during events.
Leawood Community Center
- Assists patrons with general inquiries regarding Parks, Recreation, and Arts facilities and programs whether that be in person or over the phone and directs them appropriately.
- Greets patrons entering the Community Center and directs patrons to the appropriate location for classes and events.
- May assist in registration for Parks, Recreation, and Arts programs, special events, facility rental and pool passes, and ensures information is entered into the RecTrac software system. Directs questions or concerns to the appropriate Recreation Staff member for additional information when needed.
Minimum Qualifications / Requirements
- Must be able to work non-traditional business hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and with the public.
- Ability to use safe work practices while on the job.
- Ability to protect and maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to meet deadlines with effective results.
- Ability to read, write, and understand the English language with proper spelling and grammar to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to make decisions in the best interest of both the patron and the city.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain steady communication.
- Standard office procedures, systems, and practices including the use of a computer and computer software.
Education, Training, and Certification Requirements
- Minimum of a High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience working in a customer service based position and experience working large events is preferred.
- Experience working with audio/visual equipment, preferred.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record per the City’s drivers Use of Vehicles for City Business policy throughout employment with the City.