Launched in 2016, the Cleveland Foundation Public Service Fellowship program immerses talented, emerging leaders from across the country in the work of Cleveland’s public sector, providing them an opportunity to develop their skills, enhance their networks, and jumpstart a career in public service.
The program includes:
- A 12-month, full-time paid placement at a selected public sector agency in Cleveland, providing meaningful career-related work experience. The fellowship includes a $40,000 salary with health benefits.
- Participation in a public sector professional development program, facilitated in collaboration with professionals that have expertise in their fields. Professional development consists of a 3-day orientation followed by 2 full-day civic immersion and skill building sessions each month
- A small cohort with individualized coaching, supervision and support.
- Immersion in the rich civic and cultural life of Cleveland, with first-hand opportunities to network and connect with a diverse array of emerging and senior leaders, organizations, and members of the community.
Each Fellow will be matched with a public sector agency with a supportive corporate culture and a commitment to providing opportunities to develop leadership and innovation. In addition to potential placements within local government, selected public service agencies may also include those which provide a range of public goods and services, such as education, healthcare, housing, transportation and water. 2022-2023 host sites will be listed once selection is finalized.
Applicants must be:
College graduates who earned their undergraduate degrees between spring 2019 and spring 2022. A wide range of degrees, including liberal arts and those pertaining to more technical and/or specialized areas of study, are welcomed. U.S. citizens, permanent residents or individuals who are eligible to work in the U.S. for the duration of this program. They cannot be a relative of a member of the Cleveland Foundation staff or the foundation’s Board of Directors.
How to apply/additional document instructions:
To apply, visit https://www.clevelandfoundation.org/student-resources/fellowship/ for more information and complete registration to access the online application. Applications open November 2021 and close February 28, 2022.
Register for access to our online application gateway by entering your name and e-mail, and creating a login ID. An e-mail will be sent to you within 5 minutes. Please check your spam folder. Click on the link in the e-mail to complete the registration process.
Login (with the e-mail address you used to register). You will need to complete the application and upload supporting documents for each mandatory requirement before you can “submit” your application. Deadline to submit: February 28, 2022
– Most recent college transcripts
– One required letter of recommendation (with 2 letters preferred) from individuals familiar with your academic work, employment experience or community/volunteer activities.
o We request that you upload the letter(s) directly into your online application. However, if the person providing your letter of recommendation prefers to send in his/her recommendation directly, please e-mail us at email@example.com. You will then need to upload a statement identifying the reference who will be emailing a Letter of Recommendation on your behalf. We will upload all Recommendation Letters received by the application deadline.
Please be advised that, should you be selected as a semi-finalist, you must agree to reference checks and a criminal background check. Finalists may also be required to undergo additional hiring screenings such as a drug screening, depending upon the hiring policies of the host agency.
Register for access to our online application gateway. Login (with the e-mail address you used to register). You will need to complete the application and upload supporting documents for each mandatory requirement before you can “submit” your application (by February 28, 2022).
Required documents: Resume, most recent college transcripts, 1 required letter of recommendation (with 2 letters preferred)