TITLE: HIV Patient Navigator
REPORTS TO: Director, Care Coordination Services
DEPARTMENT: Health Care Coordination
POSITION STATUS: Full time
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Community Health Action of Staten Island (CHASI) drives dramatic improvements in the health of New Yorkers by feeding people who are hungry, healing families broken apart by violence, and bridging the gaps between people and the compassionate health care they deserve. CHASI serves the most vulnerable individuals, families, and communities with critical services and programs. CHASI provides outreach, education, prevention, and direct support services for populations most affected by health disparities – the poor and working poor, low income people with chronic illnesses, persons with criminal justice involvement, substance users, domestic violence survivors, people of color, and the LGBTQ community.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Care Coordination Program aims to provide access to health care services and medication and to strengthen skills to achieve optimal treatment adherence with the goals of viral suppression and reduced HIV-related mortality. The HIV Patient Navigator (PN) carries out tasks necessary for individuals to reach these goals and moves them towards self-managing their care and treatment. The PN will manage a caseload of approximately 25 high frequency enrolled clients. The PN will build working relationships, solve problems, provide Health Education and support clients while they navigate the health care system to reach goals of self sufficiency. Additional duties include peer support to fellow staff.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Accompanies clients to medical appointments and community agencies for support and advocacy;
- Coordinates logistics for care and treatment needs including appointment reminders, transportation and childcare arrangements
- Provides individual Health Education to clients regarding curriculum topics as they relate to the patient’s life;
- Assesses treatment adherence and addresses barriers as they arise;
- Reassesses client needs including the Self Management Assessments and eligibility for the program;
- Participates in the development of the care planning activities;
- Conducts Directly Observed Therapy (DOT) services;
- Coordinates with Service Providers and provides critical feedback to members of the team;
- Actively participates in case conferences, clinical supervision and individual supervision;
- Meets training requirements as indicated by the funder including the 6-day Core training;
- Meets standards for documentation requirements, data submission and maintains client charts;
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree preferred or some college education or high school/GED with experience and strong socio-cultural identification with the target population; and/or certification as a peer worker with at least 12 months experience in patient navigation REQUIRED
- At least 1 year of experience with case management and/or patient navigation REQUIRED
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Computer literate in word processing, email, and ability to navigate the internet.
- Effective communication skills, including ability to follow instructions, listen, communicate effectively in writing and verbally; able to organize thoughts logically and explain themselves clearly.
- Knowledge, understanding and ability to communicate HIV disease progression, treatments, and adherence strategies.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS including infected and affected populations, high-risk groups, and comfortable working with these populations and groups;
- Knowledge and understanding of care management principles, documentation, referral processes, and follow up.
- Deadline driven and detail-oriented, ability to juggle multiple priorities.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS community resources, including existing social and behavioral health resources and referral agencies;
- Culturally responsive to individuals living with HIV/AIDS and those at-risk for becoming infected with HIV;
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including ability to listen and follow instructions; able to organize thoughts logically and explain themselves clearly; ability to manage communications tactfully and professionally with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience and proven ability to think strategically, plan effectively, and manage productively to achieve multiple high-priority goals.