Title: HIV Test Counselor
Department: Prevention and Intervention
Reports To: Director of HIV/STD/HCV Prevention & Related Services for Women and Testing Coordinator
Location: 26 Bay Street, Staten Island, NY 10301
Position Status: Part-Time (32 hours per week)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Pay Rate: $16.83 per hour; excellent benefits package
Community Health Action of Staten Island (CHASI) drives dramatic improvements in the health of New Yorkers by feeding people who are hungry, healing families broken apart by violence, and bridging the gaps between people and the compassionate health care they deserve. CHASI serves the most vulnerable individuals, families, and communities with critical services and programs. CHASI provides outreach, education, prevention, and direct support services for populations most affected by health disparities – the poor and working poor, low-income people with chronic illnesses, persons with criminal justice involvement, substance users, domestic violence survivors, people of color, and the LGBTQ community.
The HIV Test Counselor for Women Up! works to engage women (primarily women of color) who have high risk sexual encounters. The HIV Test Counselor will conduct outreach through various community initiatives and educational activities. The HIV Test Counselor will provide culturally competent and confidential HIV antibody counseling, testing, and referrals to services such as but not limited to: STI screening, PrEP or PEP, and social services. The HIV Test Counselor will perform HIV risk assessments, HIV testing, disclosure of HIV testing results, and enhanced risk assessments to individuals who test for HIV. The HIV Test Counselor will also conduct a in depth assessment for clients who wish to enroll in Linkage and Navigation services.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Preform HIV and/ or HCV prevention / risk sessions for target population on-site and in community-based settings.
- Provide referral and resource information and link individuals who test positive for HIV and/or HCV to medical and supportive services.
- Screen and enroll appropriate clients into Linkage and Navigation services.
- Provide direct follow up with identified HIV and/or HCV infected persons and all high-risk seronegative persons who receive referrals.
- Contact relevant intake staff of all medical providers and agencies to which referrals have been made and to determine if specific referrals of CTR and HCV clients have been completed.
- Conduct outreach to recruit adults at high risk for HIV/AIDS for rapid HIV testing and HCV screenings.
- Deliver community-based education and risk reduction education and materials to targeted populations and the community.
- Identify new community partners and groups where HIV rapid test can be provided.
- Complete accurate documentation of client encounters.
- Maintain communication with Testing Coordinator, Director of HIV/STD/HCV Prevention & related Services for Women and key staff. Staff will have dual supervisors.
- Promote prevention and self-care strategies utilizing a harm reduction approach.
- Assist in supervising two peers that will assist with program recruitment (outreach for testing, linkage and navigation, peer training and healthy relationships group)
- Attend trainings to maintain information updates on relevant issues.
- Prepare reports, weekly numbers, updates testing spreadsheet in word and documentation as needed for planning and quality assurance.
- Secure and maintain HIV and HCV test results and documentation in double-locked environment.
- Assist with the peer training program when needed.
- Attend all required CHASI and contractual trainings and meetings.
- Perform all functions in alignment with CHASI’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED required; bachelor’s degree preferred
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish/English) required
- Certified HIV/HCV tester preferred
- Linkage and Navigation experience preferred.
- Able to work nights and/or weekend events
- MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access software packages, as well as internet navigation
- Excellent oral and written communications skills; ability to manage communications tactfully and professionally with a high attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to handle multiple projects and activities while meeting established timelines
- Demonstrated ability and/ or commitment to working effectively with clients from diverse backgrounds, with sensitivity to ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- A team player with an ability to work on diverse teams with shared responsibility and accountability; ability to contribute to a positive, productive, open, and supportive environment
Please note that as a public health organization committed to the health of our community, CHASI is requiring COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment; if you are offered the role you will be required to at least have one dose of the COVID-19 vaccination to begin employment. Please inquire if you believe you qualify for a religious or medical exemption.
Equal Opportunity Employer