About Community Solutions:
Community Solutions is a non-profit organization that works to achieve a lasting end to homelessness that leaves no one behind. We envision a more equitable future where homelessness is never inevitable or a way of life, for anyone. Since 2015, we have led Built for Zero, a movement of more than 70 cities and counties using data to radically change how they work and the impact they can achieve—and proving that it is possible to make homelessness rare and brief. Nearly half of those communities have reduced homelessness in their communities, and 14 have ended veteran or chronic homelessness. In order to help communities equitably and sustainably end homelessness, we are also working to identify solutions that can address gaps in housing, disrupt inflow into homelessness, and produce more racially equitable systems.
Community Solutions is looking for an intern for its nascent policy team. The work will be centered at the intersection of data, technology, housing, and social services policy, and include both development of and advocacy for policies that will remove the structural barriers to ending homelessness. This team works actively in the policy, advocacy, and government affairs spaces.
The intern will work part-time, 15 hours per week for no more than 12 weeks, starting in October 2021 through January 2022 (the end of winter break), with the possibility of extension through the end of the 2021-22 academic year. East coast working hours are preferred. The position will include a mix of set “on-call” hours weekly and project-based workflow (where working hours may be flexible). This internship will be unpaid; we will work with students to fulfill requirements for academic credit.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policy Research and Analysis
- Conducting research on existing government-facing data infrastructure systems and federal and local laws and regulations around data, technology, privacy, housing, and social services.
- Mapping and tracking the key stakeholders in the field
- Assisting with the development of internal and public-facing materials that support our policy goals
- Preparing for and attending various stakeholder meetings, both internally and with local and federal actors
- Various other duties as assigned.
Grassroots Advocacy and Engagement
- Help draft and disseminate grassroots/grasstops materials and communications to engage stakeholders in passing our policy priorities
- Create reports to demonstrate efficacy of grassroots and grasstops engagement
- Conduct research on legislative targets and prepare talking points, fact sheets, and other supporting materials.
What is Needed
- a current undergraduate, graduate, or law student;
- someone highly organized with strong written communication skills;
- a self-starter who can manage their own time responsibly;
- the ability to read and digest quickly;
- a proficiency in google suite;
- interested in policy, advocacy, and/or public affairs, with a focus on housing, social services, data, or technology.
This internship will be entirely virtual, and you will be working with team members located in the Eastern and Central time zones. Regular and consistent computer and internet access is required. Our team utilizes Slack, Google Suite, Excel, and occasionally Salesforce or Mural.