Working under minimal supervision of the General Accounting Manager, referring only exceptional problems and issues for management review or approval, the Senior Staff Accountant primarily focuses on the cash cycle. The Sr Accountant tracks, posts and reports daily cash to Sr Management. The Sr Accountant supports the Manager in the month end closing process. The Sr Accountant analyzes assigned expense and balance sheet items, amortization of pre-paid expenses, liability accruals bank reconciliations and cash flow forecasting. Provides support to internal and external auditors as needed.
Where applicable, this position assures departmental processes are performed in compliance with applicable Sarbanes-Oxley controls.
* Updates daily cash reports and cash forecast for CFO, journalizes cash transactions, compares with trial balance in accounting system, and performs daily and month-end bank reconciliations.
* Performs various tasks associated with month end closing, which includes journal entries, analysis of medical expense, analysis and amortization of various prepaid expenses and accrued liabilities, analysis of outside professional expenses, analysis of expense trends, updates of monthly employee stock option exercises. This also includes support provided to internal and external auditors.
* Prepares and remits weekly 401k contributions to Fidelity Investments as well as other payments made by wire.
* Performs special projects and other duties as assigned by General Accounting Supervisor, General Accounting Director or Controller. Prepares and mails annual 1099s, files with IRS.
* Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills with ability to create complex spreadsheets using formulas, including v-lookup, and pivot tables.
* Advanced Accounting knowledge
* Advanced knowledge of general ledger accounting with ability to balance cash accounts.
* Attention to detail in composing, keying, and proofing professional business materials
* Strong trend analysis skills with proven ability to analyze expense accounts for trends
* Articulate with ability to express oneself clearly and professionally in written and oral communication
* Adaptable with ability to switch tasks based on shifting priorities
* Analytical with ability to draw conclusions from data, systematic and rational
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or the equivalent combination of work and experience required