Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Purpose of the Position: In this role you will work within a research melting organization to both assist with the daily operation and further engineering projects related to the development manufacturing platform. This role encapsulates learning multiple phases of the glass melting processes and working with technical staff to identify areas for improvement, plan, execute and analyze experiments.
• Work closely with engineering staff to maintain daily melting operations objectives
• Lead process improvement and equipment installation projects
• Interpret the data analysis results in RD&E and/or business context
• Communicate results both orally and in written form in clear, concise English
• Document important findings in internal, structured reports
• Partner closely with other scientists/engineers across research, development, and engineering organizations
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Pursuing a degree in Materials Science and Engineering or Chemical Engineering. Advanced degree preferred
• Strong experimental design and analysis skills
• Strong communication skills (oral and written)
• Creative problem-solving ability
• Ability to apply process control and discipline concepts
• Exposure to glass processing methods
• Experience in cross disciplinary projects
• Mechanical aptitude
• Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
• Collaborate across organizations
• Results oriented and personally motivated
Job Overview: The Research Melters provide a healthy work environment for students in engineering and science programs:
• We encompass a wide variety of engineering disciplines. Projects can be varied based on the interest of the student, as well as exposing them to adjacent opportunities. Fields such as Glass Technology, Melting/Forming Processes, Mechanical Engineering and Controls are well represented in the group, with projects in all. Projects can also be interdisciplinary based on the need and interest of the student.
• Impactful work that ties directly to early stage research and product development. Many times, the results of our experimentation will directly translate to Corning processes and products. Often the project will output Intellectual Property and expose the student to the rigors of proper report writing.
• We have access to recognized subject matter experts in numerous technical fields. The staff on the melters interact with a wide array of technical SME’s daily. Our relationships with our customers and external support groups are well established and can be used as opportunities for immediate support and pipelines for future growth. Q1-Q2 2022 will be a unique time for the RM Operations. The team will be focused on rebuilding and re-starting melting tanks, establishing processes, and introducing new technology. There are multiple opportunities for a Co-Op student to participate and have significant contribution to the efforts of the team.
Travel Requirements (National/International; 0-100%): 0%
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.