NOTE: CAIR-Chicago internships and externships for Summer 2020 will be held remotely pending the latest COVID-19 pandemic statutes from the local, state government authorities. Check with your school’s Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit. Be sure to know the process for approving the internship from start to finish, which may include (but is not limited to) qualifications, documents for you and CAIR-Chicago to complete and sign, assignments, deadlines, and requirements to remain in good standing and achieve a passing grade and/or receive academic credit (e.g., identify and meet goals).
Our Government Affairs Division within the Outreach Department seeks to organize, mobilize, and empower the Muslim community throughout greater Chicagoland and the State of Illinois with long-term civic participation and awareness. Its educational initiatives help community members understand the political system and utilize it to work for their issues. Projects include voter registration drives, community workshops, “know your rights” educational campaigns, and training sessions at mosques and community centers on how to contact and engage local, state and national elected officials.
The division also systematically works to educate political representatives about their Muslim constituents while ultimately engaging these public officials with the Muslim community’s unique issues and concerns. Finally, the division seeks partnerships in coalitions across various demographics to encourage dialogue and understanding, broaden perspectives and appeal, and set actions that will result in fair, proactive policy making that sustains positive effects for all who live in greater Chicagoland, Illinois and the United States.
Interns will work closely with the Outreach Coordinator on projects and/or daily tasks related to civic engagement and political empowerment for Muslim Americans, and practically all individuals who live in the United States.
In order to ensure that the each intern, extern, and fellow’s experience is maximized, each Government Affairs team member will be required to develop and train in the following core specialties:
- Community Organizing
- Civic Engagement
- Policy Research
- Administrative Assistance
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Assist in legislative research and analysis, including building profiles on jurisdictions and elected officials throughout greater Chicagoland and Illinois
- Research, develop and maintain civic and voter education resources to distribute to the Muslim community
- Assist in establishing communication and networking with civic groups, offices of elected officials, law enforcement agencies to seek possible collaborative efforts and build long-term partnerships
- Develop comprehensive strategy to recruit volunteer activists for political campaigns, elections and public awareness initiatives
- Contribute video logs and written articles to CAIR-Chicago’s website, social networking sites, and official newsletter, The Chicago Activist
- Submit an original writing sample (2-3 pages) relating to CAIR-Chicago’s scope on civic engagement that illustrates writing skills, style, voice, and areas of interests
- Possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills; Proficient in research, analytical, reporting, and critical thinking skills; Self-motivated, detail-oriented and excellent organizational skills
- Possess knowledge and understanding of the Muslim community in greater Chicagoland and Illinois, including policy and other issues on a local, national and international scope
- Possess adequate experience in recruiting and leading volunteers in initiatives, as well as coordinating events
Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
To apply, please send application materials to Gerald Hankerson, Outreach Coordinator at email@example.com. Review this internship description and program details on CAIR-Chicago’s Intern Center page at cairchicago.org/intern-center.