NOTE: CAIR-Chicago internships and externships for Fall 2021 will be held remotely pending the latest COVID-19 pandemic statutes from local and/or state government authorities.
Check with your school’s Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit. Be sure to know the process for approving the internship from start to finish, which may include (but is not limited to) qualifications, documents for you and CAIR-Chicago to complete and sign, assignments, deadlines, and requirements to remain in good standing and achieve a passing grade and/or receive academic credit (e.g., identify and meet goals).
Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
Our Outreach Department aims to educate, foster understanding and build bridges between Muslims and the general public in the greater Chicagoland and the State of Illinois. Through such efforts, the department establishes mutually beneficial partnerships through educational and multicultural collaborations with local, state and national organizations and institutions. The department also bolsters CAIR-Chicago’s ability to serve constituents within Muslim communities. To this end, the Outreach Department leads CAIR-Chicago’s youth leadership initiative, internship and volunteer activist programs, interfaith and intercultural initiatives, educational seminars, and civic engagement efforts.
Interns will work directly with the Outreach Coordinator on projects and tasks related to community outreach, public awareness and development for Muslim Americans, and practically all individuals who live in the United States.
In order to ensure that the each intern, extern, and fellow’s experience is maximized, each Outreach team member will be required to develop and train in the following core specialties:
- Human Resources
- Youth Development
- Community Service
- Community Relations
- Interfaith Engagement
- Public Education
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Plan and help administer community events, workshops, forums, and projects
- Identify and connect with coalitions and groups that share similar interests and scopes as CAIR-Chicago to seek possible collaborative efforts and long-term partnerships
- Research, profile, and build community relations with Muslim and other faith cultural groups, community organizations, mosques and other institutions for possible
- Maintain appropriate files, databases, and the online Partners page on CAIR-Chicago’s website
- Coordinate and conduct presentations and workshops on topics relating to Islam and Muslims
- Assist in establishing and maintaining partnerships with academic institutions to ensure recruitment and retention for the internship and volunteerism programs
- Possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills; Proficient in research, analytical, reporting, and critical thinking skills; Self-motivated, detail-oriented and excellent organizational skills
- Friendly, outgoing, and demonstrate effective leadership and teamwork skills
- Proficient in research, analytical, reporting, and critical thinking skills; Experienced with public speaking, engaging with diverse faith perspectives and audiences, and articulating a Muslim faith perspective
- Possess adequate knowledge and understanding of social issues and historical contextual facts related to the Muslim community on a local, national and international scope
- Experienced in coordinating activities and event planning, particularly workshops, forums and conferences for multicultural and youth audiences
- Experienced with public speaking, engaging with diverse faith perspectives and audiences, and articulating a Muslim faith perspective
- Must have a flexible schedule to accommodate occasional events scheduled on weekends and evenings
To apply, please send application materials to Gerald Hankerson at email@example.com. Review this internship description and program details on CAIR-Chicago’s Intern Center page at cairchicago.org/intern-center.