Applications are accepted year-round for CAIR–NY’s Outreach Internship program. Outreach Interns will gain substantial experience establishing and maintaining relationships with the local community via schools, mosques, Muslim Student Associations, and other Muslim organizations. Outreach Interns will also learn how to establish and maintain relationships with local coalition partners and (when appropriate) governmental institutions, such as New York City Council Members, liaisons to the Mayor’s Office, and other city, state, and federal agencies. Outreach Interns will also work on goal driven projects involving civic engagement and other community-based education workshops. Additionally, Outreach Interns will learn how to maintain a comprehensive database of local outreach activities and undertake other office duties as assigned.
- Current enrollment in (or recent graduation from) an undergraduate or graduate program.
- Friendly, outgoing and self-motivated.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent critical thinking and visual skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to follow through the various on-going and newly assigned tasks.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Documented interest in civil rights work and issues affecting Civil Rights and/or the American Muslim community.
- All encouraged to apply, but a preference is given to students who can devote 10 hours a week (Fall/Spring Semesters) or 20 hours a week (Summer Semester).