The ECDP is a three-year program in which participants will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience and receive wide exposure to Covanta’s different business functions through a coordinated rotation among a variety of assignments, both within and outside their primary department. As part of the Program, you may be required to travel and / or relocate to different Covanta facilities and locations.
Candidates for the ECDP are required to have a Bachelor’s degree. Ideal candidates will be new or recent grads, with up to 1 year of relevant experience. For a list of additional qualifications, please refer to the Position Requirements section below.
If you are interested in being considered for multiple ECDP positions, you should apply to each requisition separately and include a cover letter describing how the ECDP program fits with your career goals.
The anticipated start date for the ECDP candidate is July 2021. Selected candidates must meet all minimum requirements at least 3 weeks prior to the start date and join on or before the Orientation Week (currently planned for mid-July 2021).
The ECDP hire for the Controllership team will perform a variety of functions within different departments including Internal Audit, Accounting, and Tax. Concentration within one or more areas depend upon the candidate’s areas of interest and capability, as well as business need. Responsibilities for rotational positions within each of the departments include but are not limited to:
- Participate in annual audit plan development process including risk assessment discussions.
- Participate in facility audits / site visits.
- Assume direct responsibility for particular audit objectives and obtain evidence in support of audit positions.
- Participate in the monthly accounting close process
- Participate in at least one quarterly external reporting cycle
- Resolve complex accounting matters by researching accounting literature and documenting accounting positions
- Prepare state and federal income tax returns
- Contribute to the quarterly tax provision and provision to return true-up for certain legal entities
- Participate in the design and structure of a development project
- Analyze and document aspects of tax implications with a non-US transaction
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
- Grade Point Average of 3.5 or higher preferred
- Interest in pursuing CPA
- 0-1 years of relevant work or internship experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient with MS Office suite
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Very strong analytical skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks
- Attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Motivated and committed
- Willing and able to travel, as needed