The ECDP is a three-year program in which participants will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience and receive wide exposure to Covanta’s different business functions through a coordinated rotation among a variety of assignments, both within and outside their primary department. As part of the Program, you may be required to travel and / or relocate to different Covanta facilities and locations.
The ECDP hire for the Engineering / Supply Chain team will participate in one or more of the following areas: plant upgrade projects, capital projects, plant process and/or process controls engineering, operations and field assignments. These ECDP assignments are a structured career development program to develop today’s new hires into tomorrow’s experts and leaders. Assignments will be structured to fill several needs:
- The development needs of the ECDP employee
- The needs of the business and shareholders
- The resource needs of the Engineering and Projects Departments
- The needs of the facilities
There will typically be 3 assignments of 1 year each with different supervisors and sometimes different locations for each assignment. In unusual cases, assignments durations may be changed for business or personnel reasons.
The incumbent will be expected to spend 1 of 3 assignments in a field location at any one of Covanta’s Facility locations, however the first assignment will be at our corporate headquarters in Morristown, NJ. Typically, the second assignment will be in the field.
Assignments will be planned collaboratively with Engineering, Projects and Operations leadership and the ECDP, coordinated by respective hiring managers within Engineering.
Covanta’s Waste to Energy Facilities include boilers, steam turbine generators, Steam condensers, metals recovery equipment, air pollution control equipment, conveying systems, waste and ash handling/distribution systems, plant utilities and cranes. Automation and controls systems is the heart of all our plant/operations with a vision to move to smart/AI technologies in future.
Responsibilities include but not limited to any of the following:
- Continuous Improvement: Analyze plant process data and make recommendations to improve overall process performance using Lean/Six Sigma methodologies.
- Upgrades and Troubleshooting: Support development of plant upgrades and technical troubleshooting, using RCA/Problem Solving Methodologies.
- Automation: Support upgrades and improvements to process instrumentation and control systems across the facilities, with attention to opportunities for enhanced automation.
- Capital Projects: Support the Project Management Office (PMO) through capital project leadership or support, following Covanta’s Front End Loading (FEL) capital process; may also be required to perform project execution duties at larger facilities.
- Design Engineering: Support design engineering activities for upgrade and new projects.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- 0-1 years of relevant experience
- Internship, Co-Op or prior work experience in electrical engineering
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient with MS Office suite
- Strong educational and technical background
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to gather input and lead a task to completion
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks
- Attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Exemplary initiative
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable
- Quick learner
- Ability to extract and analyze data
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Team player with a can-do attitude
- Motivated and committed
Candidates for the ECDP are required to have a Bachelor’s degree. Ideal candidates will be new or recent grads, with up to 1 year of relevant experience. As part of the Program, you may be required to travel and / or relocate to different covanta facilities and locations.
If you are interested in being considered for multiple ECDP positions, you should apply to each requisition separately and include a cover letter describing how the ECDP program fits with your career goals.
The anticipated start date for the ECDP candidate is July 2021. Selected candidates must meet all minimum requirements at least 3 weeks prior to the start date and join on or before the Orientation Week (currently planned for mid-July 2021).