Position: Remote Adult ESL Teacher Intern
Reports to: ELT and Youth Mentoring Coordinator
Term: Fall 2021, beginning August 2021
Hours and Length: Minimum 10 hours/week (Stipend)
**This is a remote position**
Founded in 1946, Church World Service (CWS) provides life-saving humanitarian aid around the world, as well as refugee resettlement in the United States through 15 affiliate sites and seven CWS field offices. CWS Jersey City provides comprehensive case management and employment services aimed at empowering refugees, asylees, and asylum seekers to build a foundation for long-term self-sufficiency and success in the United States. Services include basic needs support, case management, cultural orientation, health access assistance and intensive job preparation and placement services.
CWS Jersey City provides weekly two-hour remote English classes to our refugee, asylee and asylum seeker clients. The Adult ESL Teacher Intern would provide class instruction, plan lessons, and complete administrative tasks pertaining to the classes assigned to the intern. Responsibilities include:
- Utilizing previous lesson plans and materials, the intern will modify lesson plans based on class progression and student feedback and prepare for lessons by familiarizing themselves with the lesson plan and creating activities to engage students and check for comprehension;
- Provide instruction for assigned classes;
- Communicate with students outside of instruction (send weekly reminders and homework assignments, and help students troubleshoot technology issues accessing Zoom classes);
- Complete administrative tasks pertaining to communication with students, class attendance and individual student progress through case notes and Excel spreadsheets.
- Acquire detailed knowledge of the U.S. refugee resettlement program;
- Gain experience in adult English language instruction, especially providing instruction to new immigrants;
- Acquire knowledge of public funding requirements, specifically service delivery and documentation requirements pertaining to the ESL program;
- Acquire knowledge on navigating the Immigration and Refugee Information System (IRIS) and Zoom;
- Strengthen communication and interpersonal skills through interactions with clients, CWS staff, and interns;
- Strengthen organizational and time management skills through balancing projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Graduate level studies in education or TESOL certification preferred, undergraduate level studies required;
- ESOL teaching experience preferred;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Excellent attention to detail and effective communication skills;
- Cultural sensitivity and adaptability to incorporate cultural awareness in lesson plans;
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus;
- Willing to adhere to CWS volunteer and workplace policies, including holding client confidentiality to the highest standard.
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.