The Democratic Governors Association (DGA), the independent, non-profit, campaign committee responsible for electing and supporting Democratic governors, is seeking a Digital intern for the Spring 2022 term. The DGA works closely with the state and Washington, D.C. offices of the Democratic governors as well as many other national Democratic and progressive organizations.
DGA internships allow interested students to obtain practical political experience within the DGA Digital Department including candidate and governor research, drafting and monitoring social media content and trends, assisting in tracking digital fundraising and creative analytics, and offering administrative support to the DGA staff who are responsible for working with the nation’s Democratic governors and candidates to promote their agendas and position them to win campaigns.
DGA Digital interns are assigned a variety of projects and tasks that support the DGA Digital, Political, Communications, and Administrative staff. Digital interns mainly report to the Digital Assistant for assignments and feedback, as well as regular check-in’s with the Director of Operations and Intern Coordinator who manage DGA’s internship program.
For the Spring 2022 Term, DGA internships will be remote, with the option for interns located in Washington, DC to use the office on a limited basis. Selected interns are provided a program stipend of $4,000. Housing is not provided.
Applicants should submit a resume and 1-2 paragraphs on why you want to work as an Intern at the DGA and how you anticipate a DGA internship will benefit your career. Please include a draft work schedule at the end of your 1-2 paragraphs. Hour requirements are listed below. Potential applicants who have an interest working on Democratic campaigns or supporting Democratic Campaigns are strongly encouraged to apply. No calls, please.
- Assist in the research of digital content i.e., videos and photos of Democratic governors for use in social media and email content
- Assist in tracking and monitoring the announcement of candidates running for Governor across all states
- Assist in the maintenance and production of important tracking and analytic documents
- Assist in drafting social media content for publication
- Help with other special projects, assignments, and tasks as assigned by DGA Digital, and Administrative staff
- Help compile and write newsletters and analytic reports
- Help maintain the DGA’s social calendar, updating with key anniversaries and upcoming events
- Stay up to date on social media trends and flag trending topics and memes.
- Attending the once-a-week Digital team meeting
- Excellent punctuality and attendance
- Good, professional verbal and written communication skills
- Good and consistent attention to detail
- Ability to cooperate and effectively communicate with a diverse staff and other interns
- Ability to ask appropriate questions to gather information to complete a task on time and up to expectations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.
- Proficiency with other web tools such as Google Docs
- Strong knowledge of social media applications i.e., Instagram and Twitter
- Strong commitment to the principles of the Democratic Party
- Strong interest in current events and national/state/local campaigns and politics
- Strong interest in digital
- For Spring terms, remote and/or hybrid availability for a minimum of 18 hours per week is required
The DGA Internship Coordinator can work with selected interns and their school/program to obtain course credit for this internship.
The DGA offices are based in downtown Washington, DC and we are currently in a hybrid work protocol due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The DGA will work with potential candidates to schedule remote interviews and process on-boarding procedures remotely, as necessary.