We are not just offering a job but a meaningful career! Come join our passionate team!
As a Fortune 50 company, we hire the best employees to serve our customers, making us a leader in the insurance and financial services industry. State Farm embraces diversity and inclusion to ensure a workforce that is engaged, builds on the strengths and talents of all associates, and creates a Good Neighbor culture.
We offer competitive benefits and pay with the potential for an annual financial award based on both individual and enterprise performance. Our employees have an opportunity to participate in volunteer events within the community and engage in a learning culture. We offer programs to assist with tuition reimbursement, professional designations, employee development, wellness initiatives, and more!
A Day In The Life Of A Full Java Stack Developer
Our Enterprise Technology (ET) Department is seeking Full Java Stack Developers to work on Strategic Business Lines modernization efforts to deliver new and enhanced business functionality. You can be part of this forward thinking team that provides solutions leveraged by State Farm agents and customers online. You will work on an empowered Agile team that engages in product management concepts to deliver innovative new technology solutions to meet business needs. The individual will drive quality software development by influencing the use of best practices, leveraging continuous delivery frameworks, engaging in detailed design, and collaborating with other product teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Possesses an understanding of how technology solutions meet the business outcomes and offers a range of solutions for business partners
- Participates in sprint planning; provides work estimates to deliver product stories; owns development stories
- Develops solutions on variety of platforms according to business requirements
- Completes required coding to satisfy the defined acceptance criteria and deliver desired outcome
- Assists in development of automated testing and supporting code as necessary
- Completes required documentation to communicate information to deployment, maintenance, and business teams
- Utilizes agile software development practices, coding, data and testing standards, secure coding practices, code reviews, source code management, continuous delivery and software architecture
- Possesses an understanding of User Experience practices to improve usability and interaction between the customer and product
- Adopts Service Design, where appropriate, through architecture modularity to enable continuous delivery
- Considers applying emerging technology solutions to increase efficiency and effectiveness; expectation of continuous innovation
- Resolves problems that result in a decreased time to market; improves quality, enhances flexibility, and embraces the solution provider mindset
- Exhibits DevOps mindset where team is accountable for product from inception to sunset
- Observes user feedback to recommend improvements to team’s products
*Required technical skills and experience:
- Experience with Java and object-oriented development best practices
- Strong front-end web development skills, preferably with Micro frontend architecture experience
- High aptitude in architecture design, development best practices, web app security, and code quality.
- Understands and practices DevOps, e.g. Test Automation, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Deployment.
- Applies an expert understanding of development tools, processes, applications, programming languages and environments to assignments
- Enables solution modernization activities through design and development of full-stack applications using industry-adopted languages and frameworks to deploy new functionality
- Understands software design patterns, code quality, and code quality tooling
- A proven willingness to learn and use new technologies
- Strong critical thinking and the ability to independently debug/troubleshoot issues.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex and technical solutions effectively.
- Team player, takes initiative and is proactive with assignments.
- Ability to quickly adapt to a changing and fast-paced agile development environment.
Desired technical skills and experience:
APIs such as GraphQL, REST, Full Stack Developer with hands on experience with:
- Frontend: React – Functional, HTML/CSS/JS, Typescript, Other framework/library such as Angular/Ember/Vue/etc, CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap, Material, etc.
- Backend: Java/Spring Boot, SOAP, Gosu, PolicyCenter, other Guidewire products, JS/NodeJS, NGINX/Express.
- Artificial Intelligence: Big Panda
- Developer Tools: CodeceptJS/Selenium/Karate or similar Automated Acceptance Testing frameworks, Security scan tools, e.g. NIQS, Checkmarx, Code quality tools, e.g. Jacoco, Pit Mutation, Checkstyle, ESLint, etc, npm/Yarn, Git, Gitlab & Gitlab DevOp Tools, ChromeDevTools, Splunk, SOAPUI/Postman, Maven/Gradle, ServiceNow