Essex County Program Intern
Role Overview: 10.5 percent of Essex County residents are living with diabetes, a chronic disease which causes physical, emotional and financial challenges for the child or adult living with the condition. Although strategies and education are in place to support those living with diabetes, the numbers of people being diagnosed continues to rise making diabetes a public health crisis of epic proportions. The Diabetes Foundation and the Essex County Department of Health have partnered to support diabetes care in the county in an effort to stem the tide of growth of diabetes and to create heathier outcomes amongst residents.
About the Diabetes Foundation, Inc.: Since 1990, the Diabetes Foundation (DF) has been dedicated to providing individuals living with diabetes, access to high-quality, affordable, and accessible resources, to help them manage their care, from medical assistance, to free education and coaching, to a wealth of personalized resources. We serve thousands of individuals each year helping the provide help, hope and better help to children and adults throughout the state of New Jersey.
About the Essex County Department of Health: The Essex County Department of Health services all of Essex County’s 22 municipalities in the areas of solid waste enforcement, air noise and water pollution and hazardous response. The Health Department strives to be an impactful, visible and valuable environmental health education resource for all of Essex County.
Reports to: Diabetes Foundation’s Executive Director and Diabetes Solutions Manager
· Assist with building DF’s Give Healthy education/diabetes prevention education program for Essex County residents with emphasis on:
- Those with diabetes re-entering their communities from corrections facilities
- Essex County Wellness Program employees
· Develop email blasts and marketing materials for distribution.
· Assist with outreach and engagement to the following additional groups to grow a network of care in Essex County:
- Senior Centers
- Work to support Essex County residents with diabetes by joining the Essex County Department of Health at the Essex County COVID-19 Testing Sites to offer supplies, education and giveaways individuals identified by Essex County personnel as having diabetes.
- Package and bring supplies to test sites 4 x per week or as needed
- Articulate Diabetes Foundation programming to residents to ensure a clear understanding of services offered.
- Provide test strips and giveaways to residents.
- Collect high level data on individuals to use for reporting.
- Enter participant information into DF’s HIPAA compliant database.
· Compassionate with a willingness to help others living with diabetes
· Basic understanding of diabetes
· Specialty in public health
· Bilingual Spanish a plus, but not required
· Four hours per day five days a week