Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that provides medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The NY Cell is a decentralized Cell operating within the Paris Operational Center (France; Australia, Japan and the USA). The NY Cell has two Human Resources Officers (HRO) who function both as members of the NY Cell and the Paris Field HR department. Countries currently assigned to the NY Cell include Haiti, Liberia, Somaliland, South Sudan, and Sudan.
The New York Desk functions under Operational Center Paris and manages operations in five countries: Haiti, Liberia, Somaliland, South Sudan, and Sudan. The Desk is comprised of a nine-person team who oversees and directs all aspects of field operations in those countries. The Desk intern will assist the NY Desk with administrative responsibilities related to travel, visas, and work permits for the expatriate staff traveling to and from the field projects.
This internship is ideal for anyone considering a career in international relations, and particularly in the administration of international, non-profit field work. The intern will assist in the preparation of all departure and return procedures to ensure successful movements to/from the field projects of the NY Desk; while gaining knowledge and exposure to specific MSF operations.
The Desk Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
• Perform research on work permits, visa procedures, and COVID travel requirements
• Prepare complete and accurate visa application packages for expatriates going to Desk countries
• Courier visa applications to consulates
• Assist the Desk Associate with research and booking for flights, hotels, and vaccination appointments
• Update employee staff files and other administrative support tasks
• Complete special projects on current political, economic, and social developments of field projects
• Attend BBLs and staff meetings as often as scheduling allows
• A genuine commitment to MSF’s humanitarian principles
• Excellent administrative skills and attention to detail
• International travel experience
• Familiarity with planning complex travel arrangements
• A working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and databases
• Initiative and confidence to ask questions in a fast-paced work environment
• Fluent in English, French an asset
Pay Class & Contract Type
$15.00 per hour
Working Time (Hours Per Week)