The DoughMain Financial Literacy Foundation was created to teach children basic financial and economic literacy skills to promote life-long financial health. DoughMain Financial Literacy Foundation Inc. (DMFLF), a 501(c)(3) organization, is working to close the financial literacy gap in our country and build stronger, financially literate communities — one student, one classroom, one school at a time. DoughMain Financial Literacy Foundation created and provides an eight-unit curriculum that includes lessons, activities, and the highest quality to schools and teachers at no cost. We have developed a student-centered financial literacy curriculum for high school students. It is a 60-hour program that meets all national standards. We are presently engaging with schools and educators within central New Jersey communities. We would appreciate your support in expanding our financial literacy education program for teens and advance our vision of “A Financially FIT America.” The Foundation works closely with educators, opinion makers, business leaders, and families to dramatically improve financial literacy and better prepare the next generation for a lifetime of better financial decisions.
Requirements of the Foundation:
The DoughMain Financial Literacy Foundation (DMFLF) offers unpaid volunteering opportunities to current students and recent graduates interested in learning the inner workings of a nonprofit organization. Volunteers will be paired with a Foundation team member for one-on-one mentorship to gain hands-on experience in their area of interest. To volunteer, the applicant must:
● Be able to work 15-22 hours per week during regular business hours at DMFLF HQ in Princeton, NJ
● Have excellent verbal and written communication skills and a high level of computer and subject matter competency
● Be motivated, organized, willing to help with any project no matter how large or small, and can balance multiple priorities at once
● Have a strong desire to make a difference, a passion for the DMFLF mission, a positive attitude, and a sense of humor
Although this is not a paid position, volunteers will gain first-hand, individualistic experience working in all facets of a nonprofit organization, especially within their focus areas. Interns will be able to attend our functions and other events and activities as identified.
Volunteers will participate and become actively involved in the actual operational activities of the organization. They will leave this experience with a professional understanding of the nonprofit world that will serve them as they proceed professionally. We will be happy to provide all our qualified volunteers with a professional reference upon request.
Qualifications, Skills, and Characteristics Required:
We are looking for skilled and motivated volunteers responsible, have good time management and communication skills, and can work well on their own. It is essential that the volunteer is an independent worker and can complete tasks promptly. All DMFLF volunteers must be team players as they will constantly work with staff, volunteers, potential donors, and major donors and develop on projects.
Our volunteers should be at least 18 years of age, have excellent reading, writing, communication skills, reliable transportation, and a good working phone number. Volunteers are required to have the ability to follow directions, speak about the organization, research, enter and track donor information utilizing various database systems.
Understanding of the following:
● Grant research and writing process
● Understanding of the Foundation’s message and vision
● Importance of a clear, concise timeline/building schedule
Specific Duties and Tasks:
● Working with the Executive Director to create a database of potential grants and timelines for the writing process
● Create and Maintain a Grant Calendar which shows when a grant application and or report is due and the contact information
● Review funder websites printed application guidelines and determining mission alignments of a potential funder
● Work with other teams to identify areas of needs where a grant would help solve the problem or fill a need
● Learn how to research and write grants
● Research and help write, review and edit all affiliate grant proposals
● Evaluate grant writing strategy to adapt to the organization’s strategic plan
● Learn how to communicate with interested parties about what we do in-person, via telephone, and e-mail
● Work with staff to develop a clear message
● Attend Community and related activities
● Work with staff to engage in outreach to local newspapers, news stations, and radio stations.
Volunteers will be working with the Executive Director to create a database of potential grants and timelines for the writing process. They will maintain a grant calendar that shows when a grant application and or report is due. They will be learning how to read, research, and write grants and review any grant proposals. Other responsibilities are not limited to evaluating grant writing strategies to adapt to the organization’s strategic plan and communicating with interested parties about the Foundation and message.
Benefits to the Volunteer / Compensation:
Although this is not a paid position, interns or volunteers will gain first-hand, individualistic experience working in all facets of a nonprofit organization, including within their focus areas. Interns or volunteers will be able to attend our functions and other events and activities as identified. Interns or volunteers will participate and become actively involved in the actual operational activities of the organization. They will leave this experience with a professional understanding of the nonprofit world that will serve them as they proceed professionally. Interns or volunteers will also leave this experience with a professional reference upon request.
If interested, please contact and provide Mr. Robert Church with a copy of your resume and a sample of your writing.
Executive Director – DMFLF
189 Wall Street
Princeton, NJ 08854
Office: 609-751-3300 ext. 300
This position stays open all year round.