Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization’s impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Elementary Programs, the Part-time Reading Interventionist will be responsible for leading 1:1 and small group Reading Intervention sessions in REAL Kids, DREAM’s nationally recognized elementary enrichment program. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a background in literacy instruction to contribute to educational equity for all students in DREAM’s communities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design and deliver curricula for K/1 developmentally appropriate centers that reinforce literacy skills and social emotional skills and are aligned to the DREAM values including respect, effort and teamwork;
- Create a system to retain, reuse, and refresh centers including a curriculum index and materials list;
- Prepare all materials before activities begin and facilitate a thorough clean up afterwards;
- Encourage youth to positively participate in activities;
- Serve as a role model while demonstrating professional behavior;
- Implementing all health and safety protocols as required, including ensuring child safety and responding appropriately to any incidents;
- NOTE: Centers activities that require materials/resources will be given a conservative budget on an as-needed basis.
- Demonstrated ability to execute a reading intervention program, customized to individual students needs;
- Teaching, tutoring, or similar experience with students in grades PreK-5 preferred;
- Understanding of youth development as it relates to education;
- Ability to take initiative and maintain flexibility;
- Deep embodiment of DREAM’s mission and values, including a belief that all children can succeed;
- Must be able to work in-person at the program site during program hours.
- Reading Interventionist hours and dates vary by site
- PS 18 site: September 20, 2021 to May 27, 2022/ Monday – Thursday, 2:45 – 5:30pm
- *Program dates and hours are tentative and subject to change.
- East Harlem
PS 146 – 421 East 106th Street
DREAM Charter School (East Harlem) – 1991 Second Avenue
- South Bronx
PS 18 – 502 Morris Avenue
DREAM Charter School (Mott Haven) – 411 Wales Avenue
DREAM’s VACCINATION POLICY
DREAM requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.