Mitchell Older Adults’ Center
$15.00 per hour
June 7, 2021
East Side House (ESH), founded in 1891, is a 501(c) (3) organization that has served the South Bronx since 1963. The organization is dedicated to the community and focused on providing resources and opportunities. East Side House has identified that education is the foundation for economic improvement and through its youth education and technology programs, it teaches skills to allow its students and clients to become more self-sufficient and independent. As a community resource, the organization also provides services to families and a growing older adult population. In 2020 the organization began food distribution as an additional way to provide economic support to the community we serve.
East Side House’s Older Adults’ program meets the needs of older adults by providing a variety of social, protective, and supportive services in a non-medical care setting. The program improves the quality of life for seniors in the community by offering opportunities for personal achievement, social engagement, and community participation.
We are seeking a dynamic, team player who shares our passion for providing exceptional services to meet the needs of the older adults in our community. The Program Assistant will work at the direction of the Program Director, ensuring that the center operates smoothly.
Duties and Responsibilities shall include but are not limited to the following:
Under the supervision of the Program Director, the Program Assistant’s responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to the following:
- Answer telephones, faxing, emailing, and filing documents.
- Assist with Social Activities, Congregate Lunch, and supervise volunteers.
- Follow and implement DFTA regulations and policies at the senior center.
- Outreach at facilities: City Parks, Hospital, Clinics, etc.
- Outreach at NYCHA 188 Lincoln Avenue to reach out the seniors.
- Reach out to Saint Jerome Parish senior citizens, food pantries, street fairs, Patterson Houses, Mitchell Houses.
- Promote special holidays and make special events such as: Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Black History Month, BBQ’s, Birthday Parties, Hispanic Heritage Month, etc.
- Assist with Monthly reports including STARS
- Assist with the preparation of DFTA’s Nutrition & Program Assessments
- Report repairs to NYCHA
- Coordinate Trips
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Minimum one year of experience in human services. High school diploma or equivalency required.
- Associate degree preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be fluent in both English & Spanish
- Team Building
- Communication Proficiency
- Problem Solving Analysis
- Time Management
- Ethical Conduct
- Enthusiastic and Good-tempered
Expected Work Schedule
Monday – Friday 8:00am- 4:00pm. Possible work on weekends, holidays or after work hours for projects, special events, etc. Workdays/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs. Workday/hours subject to change.
ESH has determined that up to zero (0%) of this position can be remote due to COVID-19. Subject to change as public health conditions evolve.
This position will supervise Patterson Older Adults Center staff.
Professional/Business casual. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
Minimal travel between Older Adults’ sites will be required as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is generally a sedentary role; however, some filing and site visits are required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against based on any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.