SALARY: $42,307.20 – $44,054.40 Annually
OPENING DATE: 04/25/21
CLOSING DATE: 05/09/21 05:00 PM
DEPARTMENT: Sheriff’s Office
JOB TYPE: Full-Time
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB NUMBER: 21237
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
***Salary to be commensurate with qualifications***
Provides professional safety and security services to County and/or City facilities, grounds, parks, property and personnel. Upholds and enforces local and State laws pertaining to County and/or City security.
• Patrols County and/or City buildings and property for fire, safety and security violations on foot or by motor vehicle. Reports and investigates incidents on County and/or City property. Conducts searches of individuals; performs self-defense and arrest control techniques as needed.
• Ensures that County and/or City buildings are secured and locked. Monitors, sets, and responds to burglar and fire alarm systems.
• Monitors and controls vehicle traffic at County and/or City lots and facilities; maintains flag
• Writes accurate, detailed reports. Logs security information, including calls for service and other required information; maintains accurate logs and related documents.
• Transports evidence and presents testimony in court when necessary.
• Provides protection for County, City and State officials, special events, data processing
operations, County, City and District Court operations, election return process, and other related
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or equivalent education required.
• Minimum one (1) year law enforcement, security or military experience preferred.
• Must be at least 21 years old at time of employment.
• Must qualify to use duty handgun in accordance with Security Section standards.
• Ability to see and interpret color differences within images displayed on a computer monitor
required; ability to accurately determine suspicious objects.
• Experience as a security officer using screening techniques and electronic screening equipment, such as x-ray and metal detection equipment preferred.
• Knowledge of and experience with common radio equipment and communications procedures preferred.
• Must have knowledge of State and local law enforcement techniques, equipment and
• Must have working knowledge of State and local laws including, but not limited to, officer
authority, search and seizure, use of force, civil rights, and drug and weapons violations.
• Must be able to act quickly and decisively in stressful situations.
• Ability to maintain positive interaction with fellow employees, public safety personnel, and the
public in a courteous and professional manner.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and possess a high level of
attention to detail; ability to write accurate and detailed reports, records, and other documents.
• Must be able to work overtime on short notice. Must be willing to work rotating shifts to include
evening and night shifts. Subject to call out any time.
• Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
• An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted for the
education and experience requirements above.
• Must pass background investigation, motor vehicle check, truth verification examination,
psychological evaluation, physical examination and drug screen.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driver’s License.
• CPR and First Aid training preferred.
Work is performed on foot and in a motor vehicle; may be exposed to inclement weather. Must be able to stand, climb, walk, run, bend and jump for extended periods of time. May require physical contact of a combative nature for self-defense. May be exposed to potentially hazardous and life-threatening situations. Must be able to safely lift and carry up to 40 pounds. May require working overtime, weekends, holidays and rotating shifts on short notice. Subject to call out at any time.
This job announcement is not intended to be inclusive of all functions, responsibilities and
qualifications associated with the position, however, representative of the essential job functions and typical criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the position.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.elpasoco.com For inquiries please call:
Each applicant is considered only for the current vacancy indicated on your application. It is the
responsibility of the applicant to monitor any future openings and to submit a separate application for each position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Any new employee and rehires must provide documentation of authorization to work as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (PL99-603).
EL PASO COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
This job announcement is not intended to be inclusive of all functions, responsibilities and qualifications associated with the position, however, representative of the essential job functions and typical criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the position.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE.
For inquiries, call 719-520-7401. Each applicant is considered only for the current vacancy indicated on your application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to monitor any future openings and to submit a separate application for each position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Any new employee and re-hires must provide documentation of authorization to work as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (PL99-603). EL PASO COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Security Officer (Armed) Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. How did you learn of this position?
El Paso County Website
Social Media (Twitter/Facebook)
University/College Career Site
Industry-specific Career Site
Professional Membership Career Site
* 2. Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent education?
* 3. Do you have at least one (1) year of law enforcement, security, or military experience?
* 4. Have you had CPR or First Aid training?
* Required Question