With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
EDF offers internships and fellowships for students and recent graduates in a variety of programs and departments throughout the organization. The ultimate goal of our internship and fellowship program is to provide high-quality experiences (including relevant projects and opportunities for networking) that form the foundation for any individual who is serious about pursuing an environmental career.
Each year, EDF welcomes over 100 interns to join staff in “Finding the ways that work” on solving critical issues related to Climate Change. Most interns join EDF as part of our Summer Internship Program, which takes place from June to August. Summer Programming includes an internal speaker series, meetings with EDF’s President, as well as a host of other events designed to immerse interns into EDF’s culture.
The Summer Internship Program is managed by EDF’s Human Resources (HR) team. HR is focused on the heart of EDF’s mission and is dedicated to providing a positive experience and support to all of EDF’s staff in their important and effective work.
The Internship Program Intern will focus on planning and setting up events for the 2022 Summer Internship Program and assist with the recruitment and onboarding of Summer Interns. The Intern will work with internal stakeholders within the HR team and across EDF to coordinate details and increase engagement related to intern events. The Intern will also assist with ad-hoc projects related to EDF’s Internship Program. The Intern will report to the Intern and Fellow Programs Lead within EDF’s HR team.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Intern and Fellow Programs Lead to set up and coordinate a wide range of Summer Internship Program events, including Brown Bags, intern-only events, intern-to-intern engagement events and staff-only events such as Supervisor Q&A Sessions
- Communicate with over 50 internal stakeholders including supervisors, EDF’s Intern Ambassadors, external partner teams and members of the HR team
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders on recruitment and onboarding activities for interns through EDF’s University Partnerships
- Prepare onboarding events for the Summer 2021 Internship Program and coordinate onboarding call setups
- Prepare onboarding documents for interns such as welcome packets, intern profiles, and payment paperwork
- Track and maintain changes to Project Lists and other trackers using Smartsheets and Excel
- Provide support to the Internship Program on ad-hoc research projects such as enhancing Diversity Recruitment efforts, building new partnerships with HBCU’s, and exploring new program features
- Must be enrolled in a degree program, studying either Events Management, Marketing, Human Resources, Non-Profit Management, Project Management or related fields
- Must be at a junior or senior year level in their undergraduate program
- Strong interest in internal non-profit operations or human resources preferred
- Experience engaging and collaborating with multiple stakeholders to solve problems or execute projects
- Intermediate proficiency with Excel or Smartsheets
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, particularly over email
- Well-organized, motivated, and detail-oriented, with a high level of responsiveness to deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting and have the ability to work independently
- Demonstrate initiative and problem-solving skills
- Interest in environmental advocacy is desirable but not required
Any US office or remote with NY, DC, and SF preferred locations.
January through August, 2022
Part-time (10-20 hours per week)
This internship would involve either compensation for work paid at a rate competitive with leading non-profits or academic credit. Students are encouraged to seek academic credit or funding through their college/university and EDF will ensure that any and all paperwork needed to secure academic credit is completed.
Interested applicants should attach a cover letter indicating why they are interested in this opportunity and their resume to the EDF application.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.