Looking to make a difference in a child’s life? Interested in helping children reach their goals? Join our mission-driven team at ESF Camps & Experiences for a fun and rewarding summer as a Camp Reading Teacher! ESF is hiring motivated leaders with prior experience supervising children who believe in ESF’s mission, build positive relationships and ensure the well-being of others. Make a positive impact on children while receiving comprehensive training, professional development, resume building, and networking opportunities. ESF offers:
- internships and field work opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students
- teaching positions with continuing education and leadership opportunities for educators
- great summer schedule
- competitive compensation
- employee referral bonus program
- year-round aftercare opportunities
Each day, ESF Dream Camp provides hundreds of urban youth in Philadelphia, PA an opportunity to become the people we know they can be. Most importantly, we offer them the opportunity to become the people they want to be.
At ESF, our Teachers are referred to as Activity Specialists. Activity Specialists’ hours are from 8:00am-3:30pm; Monday Friday. Start and end times may vary depending on the location and camp. Activity Specialists also have the opportunity to work extended hours for additional income. Activity Specialists at Dream Camp Philadelphia work five (5) consecutive weeks from late June through late July/early August. A Reading Activity Specialist will teach this program in the following camp program at Dream Camp:
- Day Camp Reading: 1st – 4th grades: In this activity, campers engage in activities that challenge them to think creatively while reinforcing reading skills and strategies. Campers also participate in project-based learning and educational games and puzzles.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Group supervision of campers with attention to behavior and group management, health, safety, security, and personal and skill development
- Inform site director of any concerns regarding the health and safety of the campers.
- In order to provide the appropriate ratio, the site director must approve any non-contracted requests for time off, schedule changes, or alterations to the schedule.
- Implement ESF curriculum; bring lesson plans to life for campers through participation, support and guidance
- Use effective classroom management skills to lead the activity and effectively create an inclusive and fun environment
- Motivate campers by creating fun for them in your activity (i.e. songs, games, cheers, etc.)
- Encourage creativity and critical thinking
- Work effectively with fellow Activity Specialists and Counselors; collaborate on daily responsibilities
- Complete assigned paperwork
- Serve as a positive role model to campers
- Outstanding communication skills which include the ability to use clear, concise and grammatically correct written and oral language in all aspects of professional interaction with campers, their families, peers, leadership team and the larger community
- Push/pull, lift and carry a minimum of thirty-five (35) pounds across campus
- Able to work outside, upright and mobile for six (6) to eight (8) hours per day
- Respond to emergency situations which may include running (up to 1 mile in some cases) and ascending stairs without undue exertion
- Possess physical capacity to fulfill all essential job functions
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or 4 years of college required
- Prior classroom teaching/field work experience or two (2) years of ESF experience
- Reading instruction background required
- Previous experience working with children
- Previous experience working with inner-city youth and families preferred
- Previous camp experience preferred
- Teaching certification preferred
- It is understood you will complete all trainings and pre-employment credentials required by ESF and the state you are working in.
- Must be willing to commute up to 40 minutes
Covid-19 Health & Safety Protocols:
ESF has developed and will be implementing an Advanced Safety Plan to ensure our campers, team members, and parents thrive in a safe environment. This plan includes detailed safety measures in the following areas. Team members will be trained on all protocols and full compliance is expected.
- Limited enrollment and smaller group sizes
- Camper & staff screening with use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Cleaning, disinfection & handwashing
- Premier outdoor facilities
- Reasonable contact reduction, including social distancing practices
- Symptom Management Action Plan
- Specialized Safety Training
Other Requirements/Competencies for Success:
- Understand and support the mission of the organization
- Commit to the growth and development of youth
- Always have a positive, can-do attitude
- Demonstrate excellent judgment; identify problems and work quickly to find solutions
- Desire to make a difference in the life of a child
- Attendance and punctuality
- Demonstrate the ESF Virtues of Character (Gratitude, Respect, Trustworthiness, Effort, Kindness, Positivity, Resilience, Community) in camp on a daily basis
- Follow the ESF Code and maintain the ESF Look at all times
- Exhibit ESF Core Values at all times and to adhere to all company policies
- Reports directly to and takes direction from the Camp Director. May also take direction from and is overall accountable to the Site Director.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.