Mighty Writers’ mission is to teach Philadelphia students to think and write with clarity so they can achieve success at school, at work and in life. Everything we do at Mighty Writers is designed to combat Philadelphia’s literacy crisis. Some forty percent of our city’s students drop out of high school, and half of Philly’s working-age adults have basic literacy issues. These are the statistics we’re out to change. Whether online or in-person, we take students through every genre of writing, always with the same goal: to inspire kids to think clearly and write with clarity.
ABOUT THE MIGHTY WRITERS FELLOWSHIP IN PHILADELPHIA
The FAO Schwarz Fellowship is an intensive, transformative two-year experience in the world of social impact. Fellows work at leading nonprofit organizations in Boston, New York City and Philadelphia. Each organization is deeply valued in their communities and has a strong record of delivering high-quality services that address critical issues of social inequity and producing consistent results. The FAO Schwarz Fellow will serve as a teaching assistant and also plan and lead social media initiatives to strengthen the impact of the program. The Fellowship is a two-year commitment that pays $30,000/year plus a $2,000 bonus at the end of the second year. Benefits include professional development, health insurance and annual subway passes.
The FAO Schwarz Fellow will serve as a teaching assistant in the afterschool academy program four afternoons a week. The Fellow will work on curriculum planning, grading student work and communicating with parents and volunteers in addition to student and volunteer recruitment.
- MW At Home: Fellow will offer at least one 4 -week virtual workshop each semester and will be trained in curriculum development and classroom management skills.
- Distribution site assistance. Fellow will assist staff members and volunteers with food, books and other distribution at various locations.
- Be an active member of a learning community including 40 volunteers and 10 staff members, learning and delivering core elements of the program and supporting students and staff.
The FAO Schwarz Fellow will work on social media/digital projects to support Mighty Writers’ overall strategic plan to maximize enrollment, widen our base of support and expand programming to reach more kids.
- Work with MW’ new app to increase downloads and usage and ensure it’s updated with current workshops.
- Organize, plan, promote and document monthly fun nights to engage students.
- Promote “Mighty Song Writers” events that engage well-known artists, discussing various aspects of their writing and reading lives.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must be college seniors at accredited four-year colleges or universities at the time of application and be eligible to work in the United States for the duration of the two-year Fellowship. For more about what we are seeking, please see What We’re Looking For. Please visit our website for more information about Mighty Writers.
To apply, send one PDF that includes a cover letter and your résumé to Naomi Levecchia at email@example.com by February 10, 2021, 11:59 EST. You must title your document using this format: LAST_FIRST_FELLOWSHIP_APP_MIGHTY (for example, DOE_JANE_FELLOWSHIP_APP_MIGHTY)
In your letter, please describe your interest in working at Mighty Writers. Include responses to the following questions:
- Question 1: How did you learn about the FAO Schwarz Fellowship, and why are you interested in being an FAO Schwarz Fellow?
- Question 2: Why are you interested in being the FAO Schwarz Fellow at Mighty Writers? Why does the mission engage you?
- Question 3: What background and experiences would you bring to the direct service and special project work at this organization?
We will review each application carefully and select our Fellow by April 30th. Thanks for your interest.
Mighty Writers provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mighty Writers complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.