FPWA is an anti-poverty and advocacy organization committed to economic opportunity and upward mobility for low-income communities. Since 1922, FPWA has been working to improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers through a network of 170 human service and faith-based organizations that reach over 1.5 million people each year in underserved communities across the five boroughs and beyond. FPWA’s research and advocacy aims to drive large-scale policy change to promote economic opportunity and inclusion for low-income communities, and strengthen the community based human services organizations that support them.
FPWA is seeking a Senior Policy Analyst to join its policy team headquartered in NYC. Whereas FPWA’s overarching policy and programming portfolio is based in a racial equity, the Senior Policy Analyst for Racial Equity is, responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring progress of agency research, policy and advocacy initiatives that advance systemic racial equity, particularly in economic justice, health, education, housing, criminal justice and human services.
Reporting to the Director of Policy, the main responsibilities of the Senior Policy Analyst will be developing and analyzing budget and policy priorities that center racial equity, and creating and implementing mayoral, city council and state campaigns to support this policy agenda.
Those with lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply. Demonstrated ability to perform necessary job duties can be considered in lieu of education and experience below.
- Lead the development and implementation of agency research, policy, and advocacy initiatives that advance systemic racial equity
- Develop and manage an engagement strategy for elected officials and candidates
- Collaborate with member agencies, coalition partners, allied organizations, government representatives, and across FPWA’s outreach and program departments to develop and advance policy and advocacy priorities
- Develop and maximize strong governmental relationships on behalf of FPWA
- In partnership with FPWA’s Outreach and Engagement Director, create and implement outreach plans to engage audiences in coordinated actions
- Monitor and conduct timely analysis of relevant proposed and enacted policies and legislation on the city, state, and federal levels
- Produce written materials to promote and advance FPWA’s policy positions and priorities to various audiences (e.g., policy statements, memos of support or opposition, op eds, etc.)
- Serve on internal project teams to provide advocacy strategy assistance for policy initiatives and programs
- Perform administrative duties as required (e.g. coordinating and setting up for meetings and events; coalition management; assistance with member outreach calls; etc.)
- Graduate degree in policy, social work, public administration, urban planning, law, divinity, or other related field is preferred
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in social or economic policy analysis and advocacy; a background in racial equity is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and social justice with an understanding of the needs of the communities that FPWA serves
- Experienced in policy research and analysis, both quantitative and qualitative, with the ability to synthesize ideas clearly and concisely and formulate policy recommendations
- Proven success in developing, implementing, and managing advocacy campaigns and coalitions
- Demonstrated experience working with governmental, community-based, and/or faith-based organizations to advance public policy; strong ability to develop effective partnerships
- Experience planning and managing work events and facilitating meetings and group workshops
- Strong ability to manipulate and analyze data and formulate policy recommendations
- Firm understanding of city, state, and federal budget and legislative processes
- Exceptional written, oral communications and project management skills
- Salary commensurate with Experience.
- Excellent Benefit Package including medical, dental, vision, life, 403(b) with match and more
- Ample Vacation Time: Four weeks of paid vacation accumulated during the year plus 12 company holidays
- Work-Life Balance: Twelve telecommuting days provided a year, one per month, to support work-life balance
- Professional Development: Resources committed to bolster professional and personal growth
- Modern & Flexible Work Environment: Our staff work out of a beautifully designed open workspace with flexible and tech-equipped meeting spaces to support different workstyles, promote team building and collaboration
FPWA IS CURRENTLY WORKING REMOTELY GIVEN THE COVID PANDEMIC.
FPWA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FPWA is committed to employing people who reflect the diversity of our member agencies and the communities and people they serve. Those with lived experience of justice involvement are strongly encouraged to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged.
Cover letter and resume required.
Please indicate any salary requirements you may have in your cover letter. No phone calls or other inquiries please. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.