Under the direction of the Executive Director of Nursing (EDON) and as a member of the Nursing Department, the Medical Assistant will provide support for patients and medical providers as well as general support for other clinic functions.
1. Providing direct patient care, using clinical and office procedures as appropriate for a Medical Assistant in an outpatient clinic
- Organizes and prepares patient visits including patient summary sheets, labels and huddle sheets for daily clinic
- Prepares exam rooms for patient encounter; restocks, and cleans as necessary
- Calls patients from the lobby into the exam room using two patient identifiers and using proper pronouns
- Obtains chief complaint, vital signs, allergies, surveys, screenings and consent forms from patient
- Prepares office visit note and documents vital signs in CPS
- Assists with patient care under the direction of appropriate medical provider, RN or LPN
- Assists with care coordination for individual patients and panels of patients under the direction of appropriate medical provider, RN or LPN via phone call, email and/or letters
- Administers all CLIA waived lab tests and medical tests (e.g. EKG, Spirometry UA, HCG, rapid HIV, PPD administration) and procedures (e.g. ear lavage) as per protocol and medical provider order.
- Assists with collection and transport of lab samples.
- Demonstrates competency in mailings, sorting of mail, filing, faxing, e-faxing and other duties to support administrative office needs
- Participates in Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) by reviewing patient charts for health screenings due
- Understands and maintains standard precautions in all clinical activities, uses PPE appropriately
- Chaperones patients as needed during physical/pelvic exams
- Coordinates in-clinic services between client services, the lab, providers, MAs, and nurses to assist with timely and smooth patient flow
- Demonstrates teamwork and works to build cohesive, professional relationships with all Fenway Health employees and patients
- Performs phlebotomy if deemed competent
- Administers vaccines if eligible by states guidelines
- Provides clinical support for walk-in patients
- Assists in emergencies as trained, calls for outside help or transport as directed
2. Effectively maintains medical supply stock, medication supply stock, equipment in working order and cleanliness of clinic
- Maintains equipment in good working order, and notifies supervisor of broken equipment. Notifies supervisor of needed equipment or tools including suggestions for improvements in supplies
- Removes broken equipment from service, labels it appropriately and notifies supervisor of issue with the item.
- Cleans, organizes and exam rooms , supply closets, utility rooms between patient visits as needed throughout the day
- Disinfects exam rooms and equipment daily and after contamination exposure with appropriate cleaning agent
- Conducts weekly inventory, restocks and rotates the stock to prevent expired stock/shortages
- Informs person responsible for ordering supplies when stock is below PAR level
- Identifies and disposes of expired medical stock appropriately
- Maintains room cleaning logs
- Checks and records daily refrigerator/freezer temperature and daily room temperature. Properly notifies supervisor if any temperature is out of range
- Ensures CLIA waived testing controls are completed monthly or as needed according to policy and procedures. Ensures CLIA waived testing is adequately stocked
3. Provide phone and clerical support for general patient inquiries and outreach
- Coordinates and provides reminders for visits, testing, and procedures
- Clearly documents all phone calls and interactions with patients as well as attempts to contact patients in a timely manner
- Informs and follows up with responsible provider in regards to communication with patients
- Responds to flags and requests from members of the team in a timely fashion
- Obtains medical record release (ROI) from patient/legal guardian as appropriate
- May assist patients with scheduling appointments for primary care and specialty services
4. Effectively communicates with patients, co-workers on medical team and across departments
- Demonstrates competency in CPS and Microsoft Outlook, and other electronic communication
- Meets with assigned provider to review upcoming appointments (daily huddle)
- Identifies abnormal vital signs and CLIA tests that require immediate intervention and promptly notifies a provider or supervisor.
- Attends and participates in mandatory regularly scheduled general staff meetings as well as nursing meetings
- Assists in training other employees in the nursing and medical support departments
- Manages incoming and outgoing faxes via Outlook in a timely manner.
- Adheres to the principles of patient confidentiality. Documentation with patient information is disposed of in shredding bins, ensures that protected information is held in secure areas and conversations about patients are not overheard.
- Informs supervisor of training needs
5. Participates in quality improvement initiatives
6. Meets Agency Participatory Expectations
7. Maintains Professional Behavior
- Minimum of a High School Diploma/GED
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Successful completion of a Medical Assistant or EMT Program
- CMA or RMA strongly preferred
- Ability to work as a team member
- Demonstrates a professional appearance, demeanor, and deportment as befitting a health care professional in an ambulatory care setting.
- Understands and is familiar basic medical terminology
- Current CPR Certification
- Experience working with an ethnically, culturally, racially and gender diverse staff and patients preferred
- Ability to work harmoniously with diverse groups of individuals
We offer competitive salaries, and for those who qualify, an excellent benefits package; including comprehensive medical and dental insurance plans, and a retirement plan with employer match. We also provide 11 paid holidays, paid vacation, and more.
LGBTQIA+ identified persons, people of color, and others from historically underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.