Open Date: April 30, 2021
Close Date: June 27, 2021
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and at locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole!
Fermi National Accelerator’s Network Services Group seeks a Network Analyst II to join our diverse workforce. Fermilab is the largest particle physics and accelerator laboratory in North America, and is the host for many national and international physics experiments including the Large Hadron Collider, Deep Underground Neutrino experiment, NOvA and many others. On average, over 600TB of data needs to be transferred daily between global sites. This makes networking a major component of the laboratory’s infrastructure. Spanning 6800-acres, the lab’s network includes over 700 wireless access points, nearly 500 switches and routers, and over 300Gb of WAN bandwidth.
As a Network Analyst II, you will be working in both a multidisciplinary collaborative environment as well as independently to ensure the safe and reliable operations of a large-scale high-performance network. You will provide primary support for the site’s VPN system and various security appliances protecting large network infrastructure serving the needs of science experiments and general purpose campus users.
- Administering, deploying, decommissioning Cisco ASA and Palo-Alto appliances as well as providing Tier-1 support for all operational issues.
- Secondary duties will include supporting the site’s VoIP and WiFi networks, configuring and deploying switches and routers in campus and the high-performance datacenter.
- Recommending and deploying improvements/upgrades to existing systems, deploying new network systems, and evaluating performance and security for existing network systems.
- The successful candidate will analyze and plan for anticipated changes in network capacity requirements, determine methods/procedures for new assignments and provide guidance to network personnel facilitating the transfer of knowledge of technologies.
- You must be able to work under general supervision; respect, understand, and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity; and abide by all environment, safety and health regulations.
We Are Looking For
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related technical field, or equivalent training and experience
- Thorough working knowledge of IP networking, TCP, UDP and layer-2/layer-3 network protocols.
- 7+ years hands-on experience managing, maintaining and troubleshooting VPN and firewall systems in large IP networks preferable based on Cisco or Palo-Alto solutions, working with switching and routing protocols (OSPF, BGP, HSRP, SPT)
- 3+ years of experience with Cisco IOS, NXOS software configuring and managing Cisco switches and routers, familiarity with Cisco Nexus 7K/9K platforms.
- 3+ years hands-on experience managing Cisco VoIP solutions
- Proficiency in WiFi networking, practical experience administering and configuring Cisco Wireless Controllers
- Cisco technical certifications preferred.
- Experience using/administering commercial and public domain monitoring and management software.
- Solid programming skills, practical experience with scripting languages such as Python, PowerShell, Perl etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to take responsibility for small to medium scale projects.
- Must carry cell phone off-hours and participate in on-call rotation.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Standing, and Visually Demanding.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.