AmeriCorps VISTA Double Up Food Bucks Outreach Coordinator
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position. Information about this program can be found here: http://my.americorps.gov/
Are you passionate about local food and improving food access for your friends and neighbors? Do you love farmers markets and creating safe, judgement free zones for folks to experience the joys of seasonal fruits and vegetables? Are you looking to get into a career in food systems or non-profits?
If you said yes to any or all of those questions, then apply to become a Double Up Food Bucks Outreach VISTA member!
Double Up Food Bucks VISTA members:
– Conduct barriers assessments in regard to food access,
– Create volunteer management plans for long-term sustainability,
– Connect community partners together in an effort to address food insecurity and poverty in a more holistic manner, and
– Create economic opportunities for farmers and local food producers.
Double Up Food Bucks addresses access to healthy foods by offering SNAP participants a $1 for $1 match to buy locally grown produce at participating farmers markets, mobile markets, small retail, and grocery locations. Our VISTA members will be serving in areas with high food insecurity to connect SNAP participants to community services, with a high focus on individuals and families experiencing food insecurity for the first time due to the pandemic.
About Field & Fork Network:
Field & Fork Network is a New York State food and farming non-profit organization that connects communities to innovative solutions that foster a sustainable food system. Our work focuses on four important areas: agriculture economic development, food access, youth development and healthy neighborhoods.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
Since 1965, over 220,000 AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program have joined the fight against poverty by helping local organizations expand their capacity to make change. The VISTA program serves in each of the 50 U.S. states and in all U.S. territories.
Through capacity building activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve in an office setting and gain experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
Minimum Position Requirements:
· Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
· Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
· Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle required.
· Understanding of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and proven dedication to alleviating poverty and addressing food insecurity,
· Experience gardening, farming, and/or selling produce preferred,
· Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite preferred,
· Previous volunteer experience,
· Experience working with marginalized, low-income communities,
· Outreach and volunteer management experience preferred.
· Childcare assistance if eligible,
· $6,345 education award upon successful completion of service for either future education expenses or for payment of student loans OR a cash award of $1,800 upon successful completion of service,
· Health coverage,
· Living allowance,
· Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs),
· 10 sick days and 10 vacation days,
· Relocation allowance (if applicable),
· Student loan forbearance and full payment of any interest accumulated during service upon successful completion of service,
· Professional Development Opportunities,
· Phone stipend,
· Food assistance,
· Additional benefits to be determined.
Please send a resume to Kristie Munson at kmunson @fieldandforknetwork.com. Applicants should indicate the position in the subject line of the email. The applications will be reviewed daily and the position will be filled based on AmeriCorps VISTA Member Orientation Dates. No phone calls please.