Organization: FSH is a thriving youth development organization – the first to combine the power of education with the grace and discipline of figure skating to help girls transform their lives and grow in confidence, leadership and academic achievement. Our award-winning afterschool and summer programs provide girls ages 6 to 18 from low-income communities with access to innovative education and health and wellness services that help them reach their fullest potential. Our vision is for every student, regardless of socio-economic background, to acquire the foundational academic, social and leadership skills to achieve her dreams. Headquartered in Harlem for almost 25 years, and our first satellite chapter in Detroit – Figure Skating in Detroit is approaching its 5th season.
Job Description: As part of the ICE: I Can Excel after school academic team, the Enrichment Teachers will work under the supervision of the Director of Education. The Enrichment teachers will teach a curriculum that enhances each student’s general knowledge, critical thinking skills and curiosity in areas they will use throughout their lives with support from Teachers Assistants.
● Implement and teach existing curriculum in the areas of life skills, communications, public speaking, and self-advocacy
● Develop and administer project-based learning that relates to the subject curriculum
● Manage classes of approx. 20-30 students of girls in a safe, respectful environment
● Assess, monitor and track student progress
● Support students with the creation of any final portfolios and other materials
● Create and maintain a positive classroom culture while using effective classroom management strategies
● Encourage positive student behavior that promotes character development
● Maintain meaningful positive rapport with students and parents
● Uphold FSH values and youth development principles
● Previous experience teaching, tutoring and/or mentoring youth
● Strong desire to work in academic youth development
● Demonstrated ability to be professional, creative, innovative, and flexible
● Ability to commit to working throughout the season (October – April)
● Attention to detail, superb organization skills
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● DOE fingerprint preferred
Days: Monday – Thursday 3:30-6:30pm
Hourly rate: Competitive and commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Teachers Assistant in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Figure Skating in Harlem values its diverse community and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. Due to the high volume of resumes, FSH may not respond to all who apply. FSH is an equal opportunity employer.