Organization: Figure Skating in Harlem (FSH) is the only organization in the world to combine the power of education with the grace and discipline of figure skating, to give girls 6-18 access to innovative programs that advance their intellectual, emotional and physical health. Our mission is to help girls transform their lives and grow in confidence, leadership and academic achievement. Our award- winning programs have provided low-income girls of color with access to education, health and wellness services to help them reach their fullest potential. Our vision is for every student, regardless of socioeconomic background, to acquire the foundational academic, social and leadership skills to achieve her dreams. She will be a powerful speaker, an effective leader, live a healthy lifestyle and be a global citizen. Headquartered in Harlem for almost 25 years, and our first satellite chapter in Detroit – Figure Skating in Detroit is gearing up for its 5th season.
Job Description: As part of the I Can Excel (ICE) virtual academic team, tutors will work under the supervision of the Director of Education. Tutors will meet with students online, once per week to help them reach and maintain a B average and to support them in achieving their academic goals. Students are divided in groups by grade (1st-3rd, 4th-5th, 6th-8th, 9th-12th) and tutors may be assigned to any or all groups based on skills and preference.
● Provide one-on-one academic support to no more than five students, centered around their homework, incorporating supplemental activities designed to reinforce concepts learned in school
● Schedule and coordinate a consistent meeting time, as well as follow up with the student’s family
● Utilize data from assessments to support individual tutoring plan
● Support Education Director in developing and implementing an individual academic plan for each student
● Track student progress by keeping detailed records, communicating with parents, and preparing written progress reports
● Update and submit a weekly Tutor progress report
● Perform any related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor
● Strong desire to work in academic youth development
● Experience with virtual learning preferred
● Proficient in navigating the Zoom platform
● Strong content knowledge in a variety of subjects
● Ability to tutor elementary, middle school and/or high school students preferred
● Ability to commit to working throughout the entire season (October – April)
● High proficiency in writing and mathematics
● Attention to detail, superb organization skills
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● DOE fingerprint preferred
Days: Monday –Friday (after school hours flexible based on student/teacher availability)
Hourly rate: Competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org