First Book is temporarily working remote due to Covid-19 & has a mandatory vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted)
About First Book: First Book (https://firstbook.org/) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has also built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need: today First Book reaches 510,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week.
A global leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has built a family of social enterprises to support children in need including the First Book Marketplace, The First Book Accelerator, First Book Insights, and a range of other efforts. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect 100% score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position: Do you have a private sector head and a public-sector heart? First Book is looking for a creative, entrepreneurial individual to lead its Partnership team. The position develops and executes award-winning campaigns with corporations involving cause marketing efforts, employee engagement, local events, and public-facing activations. This individual will focus on relationship building, program oversight/execution, and leading a fast-paced, high-energy team.
• Develop and oversee entrepreneurial revenue campaigns with corporate partners. This includes cause-marketing efforts, employee engagement opportunities, public activations, and related social promotions and media activities.
• Identify and land new corporate funding opportunities. Grow and expand relationships with existing corporate supporters.
• Lead cross-functional collaborations with internal teams including Marketing Communications, Network Engagement, E-Commerce, Operations, IT, and Finance.
• Oversee two internal teams—one managing existing corporate partners and one reaching out to new corporate partners. This includes overseeing corporate campaign implementation and professional development of staff.
• Represent the organization to external partners and funders. This includes both formal and informal presentations, attending conferences and other meetings as necessary.
• Meet annual financial goals as determined by the First Book Executive Team.
• Undertake innovative special projects, as directed.
Other qualifications – the ideal candidate will possess:
• Demonstrated entrepreneurial skills. An entrepreneurial spirit is a core to First Book’s DNA. Must be a tenacious self-starter.
• Exceptional writing and presentation skills. Must be able to produce creative written content and presentations quickly and under time pressure.
• Demonstrated record raising funds in innovative and creative ways.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to spark, cultivate, and grow relationship with corporate leaders. Must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
• Keen organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to represent First Book in a variety of settings. Some travel required unless precluded by global or regional safety and public health considerations.
• A passion for First Book’s mission that is visible and contagious.
• A sense of humor—this one is required.
Education and/or Experience:
• BA/BS required
• At least ten years of experience leading the types of efforts described above. This experience could be leading fundraising efforts at another social change organization. Alternatively, a compelling candidate might have led private sector or foundation funding efforts from the other side of the table. First Book may also consider candidates who have led large and innovative projects in another context who are able to deliver on the objectives described above.
• Hybrid work environment: work from home & office
• Medical insurance
• Dental insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Twelve Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
• Work with an amazing team and change the lives of children around the world!