This is a temporary Contract position at FirstEnergy covering an 8-10 week time frame (Range of 500 Hours).
As Research Assistant in the Environment Department at FirstEnergy, the successful candidate will be given responsibilities for work that is challenging and demonstrates environmental stewardship, and will be part of a progressive and diverse team. For the summer 2021 session, we have a position that involves work throughout the State of New Jersey and will report to Holmdel, New Jersey.
Responsibilities will generally include the following:
• Environmental assessment for Transmission, Distribution and/or Substation construction projects, which may include:
▪ Impact assessment
▪ Wetland delineation
▪ Erosion and sedimentation controls
▪ Endangered species
▪ Earth disturbance
• Site remediation, which may include:
▪ Phase I & II investigation
▪ Ecological Risk Assessment
▪ Groundwater investigation
▪ Remediation technique determination
• Storage tank compliance inspections and/or sampling
• Real Estate phase I and/or phase II investigations
• Utilize knowledge, skills and abilities to work on challenging assignments and contribute to FirstEnergy success
• Gain understanding of the electric utility business and seize the opportunity to explore potential career paths at FirstEnergy
• Engage in candidate self-assessments and use supervisory feedback to improve your performance
• Develop career contacts and receive guidance from coaches and peers
• Present to department members and leadership at the end of your session to highlight project assignments and contributions.
• Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Graduate program at Rutgers University with a major in Natural Resource Management, Environmental Sciences or related field.
• Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
• Detail oriented with a demonstrated ability to define and solve problems
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to make formal presentations to various audiences
• Willingness to undertake assignments involving unfamiliar subjects, with the aptitude to learn quickly
• Sound understanding of Microsoft Office line of products, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Organizational skills to prioritize and plan work, multi-task and meet schedules
• Able to work in a team environment
• Highly motivated to work independently and productively.
• Analytical skills to resolve problems and think creatively
• A personal vehicle is required for job site visits.
Pay Rate: depending on Grade Level and Experience (Range $14.50 – $24.00 HR).
NOTE: FirstEnergy does not sponsor any work-related visas (for example, H-1B or TN) for regular full-time employment. This limitation does not apply to the current Environmental Research Assistant position.