About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
As a participant in the Co-op/Intern Professional Development Program, you will be cultivating professional skills and perform professional level work at FirstEnergy. Each participant will receive on-the-job training, and challenging assignments to refine skills and round out competencies. Summer Internships with FirstEnergy are full-time opportunities spanning 14 weeks. FirstEnergy offers paid internships to qualified students actively enrolled in accredited university or college.
The IT Electrical Engineering Intern will be performing the role of a DMS SCADA Modeling Specialist supporting Distribution Management Systems. The primary accountabilities of this internship include design, development, and support of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and grid monitoring displays used as part of FirstEnergy’s Distribution Management System (DMS). The primary accountabilities of this internship include design, development, and support of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and grid monitoring displays used as part of FirstEnergy’s Distribution Management System (DMS).
Responsibilities of a SCADA Modeling Specialist:
• Design, build, and enhance FirstEnergy’s DMS to provide tools for situational awareness of electrical system conditions
• Develop displays and provide configuration of Supervisor Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) to facilitate monitoring and control of substations and line devices
• Maintain, support, and enhance the SCADA and display components of the DMS
• Assist with administration, maintenance, and upgrades to the software
• Management, testing, and checkout of SCADA and display changes in the development, quality assurance, simulator, and production environments
• Support Distribution system operators and engineers in the use of the DMS
• Develop and communicate system documentation, version release notes, and training material
• Currently enrolled, full time, in a bachelor’s degree program at an accredited university/college with a major in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology or similar discipline
• Class Standing – Sophomore (graduation date of Dec 2024 / May 2025) or Junior (graduation date of Dec 23 / May 2024). Graduation date MUST be listed on resume
• Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. GPA MUST be listed on resume
• Must be able to work without sponsorship (now and in the future)
• Ability to commit to a minimum of 2 (two) Intern rotations
• Strong knowledge of the following:
o Basic Network Concepts
o PC Usage, Windows 10 operating system preferred
o MS Office tools (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), MS Outlook
• Must work effectively in a team environment and on concurrent assignments
• Strong technical writing skills
• Highly motivated to work independently and productively and learn quickly
• Must be organized and work well with constant priority changes
• Proven team player, contributes to team goals, encourages, and supports team members
• Strong attention to detail
• Willingness to undertake assignments involving unfamiliar subjects
• Organizational skills to prioritize and plan work, multi-task and meet schedules
• Ability to work remotely, utilizing virtual technologies
• Sound understanding of Microsoft Office line of products, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively participate on a team and in
remote meetings and conference calls
Please include your Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date on your resume. Resumes that do not
include Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date will not be considered.
We encourage you to include on your resume courses completed relevant to the position you’re applying. Additionally,
tell us about school projects where you utilized the skills needed for the position in which you are applying.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team