FirstGroup America is seeking recent or upcoming college graduates to join our team as Management Trainees in the Aspiring Manager Program (AMP), to begin June 2021. AMP is an 18-month leadership development program designed to help you successfully manage your own team. As a Management Trainee at FirstGroup, you will be a part of a $7 billion-dollar company that is helping shape the future of transportation in our First Student (leading provider of school bus transportation in North America) and First Transit (largest private sector of public transit management and contracting in North America) divisions.
FirstGroup America has over 760 operating locations in the United States. Job opportunities are available in a variety of locations throughout the United States. Physical location assignments will depend on business need and are subject to change. Flexibility to relocating anywhere in the United States is a requirement.
What is AMP?
The Aspiring Manager Program (AMP) is designed to help you succeed professionally by providing curriculum that helps define, develop, and demystify what it means to lead at FirstGroup. This intensive leadership development program provides participants with the tools and experiences that prepare them for an operations leadership-level role within FirstGroup.
You will be teamed with a program manager who serves as a strategic coach and helps curate your program experience. While each aspiring manager will have a unique experience through this program, all participants in AMP will follow the same learning journey. This journey includes instructor-led macro courses to capture the core new manager skills, as well as a library of self-directed micro-courses, manager coaching sessions, immersive position rotations, and peer one-on-ones. Upon successful completion of the program, opportunities will be available throughout various locations in North America.
Responsibilities of the Management Trainee
- Actively take part in the regional shadowing portion of the program.
- Assist location and take on an active operational role to apply hands-on training within your flagship location.
- Observe, practice, and develop strong operational skills by training with seasoned leaders.
- Learn key competencies needed to manage and successfully lead your own team.
- Actively participate in trainings, eLearning’s, onsite learnings, and various other tasks dependent upon the site location.
- Learn and train in various functions within the transportation industry, including operations, management, company policies, human resources, etc., to facilitate subsequent transferability between departments.
- Observe experienced workers to acquire knowledge of methods, procedures, and standards required for performance of departmental duties.
- Provide support as needed in the various departments, including reporting, data-entry, presentation creation, strategic planning, customer service as needed.
- Participate in monthly conference calls with other cohort students and subject matter experts.
- Successfully complete an operational excellence project that integrates and applies all you learn and then present your final work at the end of your training term to key leaders within AMP.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform daily responsibilities of a Supervisor upon completion of the program
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local statutes to establish and practice a culture of safety among the team members
- Meet performance (SMART) goals and objectives set by upper management and determined upon accepting position
Business Competencies will typically include:
- Finance and Reporting
- Human Resources
- Labor and Law
- Maintenance and Operations
- Safety and Security
- Sales and Service
- Leading Self and Others
This program is geared towards recent college graduates interested in the transportation industry who are seeking a challenging, rewarding career in a fast-paced, consumer-oriented environment.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. We welcome new and recent graduates, within a 12-month timeframe to apply.
- Leadership aptitude (ability to lead others within campus and/or community) and a desire to build a career in transportation operations with exposure to supervision skills development
- Possess business acumen and be comfortable dealing with ambiguity
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Intern/Co-op experience preferred
- Previous leadership/management/military experience is a plus.
- Ability to travel to various locations and corporate headquarters as needed.
- Location assignments will vary from small (80 Employee) to large (400+ Employee) facilities.
- Appropriate PPE will be required at the designated location.
- Must be capable of multi-tasking and communicating with a variety of people and personalities.
FirstGroup America is committed to putting our customers first, dedication to safety, and an ambition to deliver dependable transportation makes for a working environment you’ll love. As a huge company with 120,000 staff and over 2.5 billion customers worldwide, you’ll also enjoy security, a brilliant future, and excellent training.
Apply today to join our team!
FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FirstGroup is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance.