Requisition No: 306484
Agency: Department of Health
Working Title: OPS MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTIST I – 64810030
Position Number: 64810030
Salary: $16.00 Hr.
Posting Closing Date: 02/19/2021
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH – OPEN COMPETITIVE
Bureau of Public Health Laboratories
Jacksonville – Virology Laboratory
Salary – $ 16.00 Hourly
Job Title: OPS MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTIST I
Requisition ID: 306484
Position Number: 64810030
Closing Date: 06/19/2020
This is a responsible professional position assigned to the Virology Section of the Bureau Public Health Laboratories. Duties are related to the testing of specimens. Considerable independent judgment is required to plan and organize the work of this section. Duties are performed under general supervision. The incumbent must possess a current State of Florida clinical or public health laboratory technician license.
- Prepares, processes, and performs moderately complex assays on submitted clinical specimens.
- Prepares stock reagents, moderately complex reagents, and media for use in virology procedures and maintains a schedule of preparations and inventory records for reagents.
- Performs quality assurance procedures and quality control testing.
- Accessions submitted clinical samples, including assigning laboratory numbers to specimens and monitors specimen quality.
- Maintains selected laboratory supplies and monitors function and provides preventative maintenance of selected laboratory equipment.
- Analyzes and reports testing results.
- Trains technicians on these procedures.
- Performs related duties as required.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
- Knowledge of terminology, principles and techniques used in analysis and testing.
- Knowledge of procedures, techniques & equipment used in lab testing and analysis.
- Skill in the use of lab equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments.
- Ability to understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- PREFERRED EXPERIENCE
- 6 months minimum of classroom or non-classroom laboratory experience
- PREFERRED EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical or biological sciences
- LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
- State of Florida Clinical or Public Health Laboratory Technician License, or are able to obtain such license within 90 days of hire
- Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the Florida Department of Health. If you are looking to establish a successful career in the Health Care Field, you have come to the right place. Many of our innovative and successful health programs are recognized throughout the State of Florida. We hope you decide to join our team!
- We request that all applications be completed with People First – no faxed or mailed applications to the agency. Experience, education, and/or training used to meet the minimum qualifications and in response to the qualifying questions must be verifiable through information contained in your application.
- When completing the online application, all gaps of employment or education greater than 90 days starting from high school must be explained (approximate date, month, and year) identifying company name or if unemployed. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be advised:
- Your responses to qualifying questions for this position must be verifiable by documentation provided through the electronic application process.
- Incumbent may be required to work before, during and/or beyond normal work hours or days in the event of an emergency. Emergency duty required of the incumbent includes working in special needs or Red Cross shelters, or performing other emergency duties including, but not limited to, responses to or threats involving any disaster or threat of disaster, man-made or natural.
- This position requires a security background check and/or drug screening and participation in direct deposit. Any misrepresentations or omissions will disqualify you from employment consideration. Note: You will be required to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in order to conduct this background check.
- Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962, will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, please visit the SSS website: http://www.sss.gov
- If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended or deemed ineligible depending upon the date of your retirement.
- The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
- Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-877-562-7287). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
- The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
- The successful candidate will be required to complete the Form I-9 and that information will be verified using the E-Verify system. E-Verify is operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify employment eligibility.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Nearest Major Market: Jacksonville