FOAM provides the tools to enable a crowdsourced map and decentralized location services.
We’re based out of the New Lab at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, an interdisciplinary workspace designed to support urban entrepreneurs leveraging advanced technologies. Maps and location services solve real life problems when they’re in the hands of the people who use them everyday. We put the community first, rewarding everyone for the value they create.
We are hiring a talented RF Field Technician to join our team. If you’re excited to be part of a rapidly-expanding team, Foamspace is a great place to grow your career.
One the main responsibilities for the RF Field Technician will be assisting with the installation and construction of various distributed radio systems. The candidate will also become familiar with RF concepts and best practices and be exposed to a variety of test equipment. They will become an integral part of a team to ensure the systems are installed according to the procedures and regulations mandated by the installation site. This position will require the individual to be in the field 80% of the time.
Responsibilities for RF Field Technician
- Assemble radio gateways and end-nodes.
- Identify and repair faults in finished assemblies making adjustments as required.
- Perform testing and troubleshooting on Foam devices independently and with the Engineering team.
- Run various experiments in Brooklyn Navy Yard(BNY) as well as various locations in NYC.
- Provide maintenance pre-existing gateways installed in BNY.
- Diagnose device malfunctions and work with the Engineers to implement preventative measures so that they do not happen again.
- Fill out detailed reports and keep records on experiments that have been performed.
- Communicate with engineers and management to provide detailed and accurate assessments of operational status.
- Work hands on with spectrum analyzers, transmitters, and other electronic test equipment.
- Perform site surveys and in-depth walk-throughs.
- Maintain inventory of gateways, test equipment and tools for continuous use.
Qualifications for RF Field Technician
- Ability to install, repair, service, test and troubleshoot radio devices.
- Ability to read and interpret schematics.
- The dexterity to connect and disconnect various sizes and types of electronic connectors
- Comfortable working with hand tools to install and remove network and small RF equipment.
- Knowledge/experience with the manufacturing and test of RF devices, testing methods, and equipment.
- Knowledge of the principles of RF and/or communication theory.
- Familiarity with electrical test equipment (oscilloscopes, network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, etc.) is a plus.
- Knowledge of computers, peripheral equipment, and related devices. and using standard computer applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and able to collaborate with multiple team members.
- Self-motivated, adaptable, and comfortable working independently.
- Ability to effectively manage time
- High attention to detail and excellent ability to multi-task is crucial.
- Has the desire to learn and advance within a technical field.
- Comfortable working in the field and have availability to work early mornings.
- A valid driver’s license with reliable transportation is a plus.
- Ability to work in remote and challenging locations including but not limited to: rooftops, and all types of geographic locations.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the job which include bending, lifting heavy equipment and working in confined spaces.