Job Summary: The Part-Time Lead Glassblower (formally titled Lead Gaffer) is responsible for advancing the Conservatory Hot Shop while providing excellent customer service and engaging with visitors. The Lead Gaffer narrates glass blowing demonstrations, teaches hands-on glass blowing classes and produces high-quality, hand blown objects.
The position includes, but is not limited to: Overseeing the annual opening and closing of the shop, maintaining the Hot Shop equipment and space and ordering supplies. Hiring, training, mentoring and scheduling gaffer staff, and implementing policies and procedures for all Hot Shop Gaffers.
The Lead Gaffer supports departmental and facility goals, and the Conservatory mission and values with a strong emphasis on customer service.
- Prepares the Hot Shop for opening two weeks prior to the annual start of the season, and prepares the Hot Shop for closure at the end of the season.
- Demonstrates excellence in customer service while giving educational and engaging glass blowing demonstrations and teaching public classes.
- Produces high quality glass blown objects for retail sale in the Conservatory’s Botanica gift shop.
- Maintains the upkeep of the Hot Shop by ensuring that the equipment, such as the furnace, annealers, glory hole and tools are in operating order.
- Maintains the appearance and safety of the Hot Shop by performing routine cleaning during and after each demonstration/class to maintain a safe area for visitors, participants, and clients.
- Monitors glass and supplies required for demonstrations and classes. Orders supplies, tools, glass color and cullet as needed.
- Works with Human Resources to recruit, interview, and hire new staff members.
- Oversees and supports Hot Shop Gaffers, to include scheduling, training and mentoring.
- Preforms administrative tasks, including implementing Hot Shop policies and procedures, assisting with the development and execution of the Hot Shop budget, processing departmental payroll, and annual reviews of the gaffer team.
- Returns customer calls to select dates and facilitate the transactions of scheduling Personal Glass Blowing Sessions.
- Works with the Education, Visitor Experience, and Special Events Departments to coordinate and assist in their gaffer needs for additional Hot Shop classes, Unity Ceremonies, programming, and events.
- Performs other duties as assigned and demonstrates focus on serving the visitors and guests of Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in glassblowing or related field, or comparable experience.
- 2 years’ experience teaching glassblowing classes and giving demonstrations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Experience with blowing glass in a public organization in front of large groups of people.
- Excels at public speaking
- Prior teaching and program development experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to plan and develop new programs related to the Hot Shop that supports the Conservatory’s mission and goals.
- Ability to create a wide variety of top-quality glass objects to required standards.
- Ability to balance a wide variety of administrative and other related tasks.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact professionally and effectively with the public, volunteers, employees, and peer institutions.
- Ability to motivate others, handle multiple projects simultaneously, problem solve, and delegate duties.
- Ability to work within budgets and support revenue goals.
- Ability to occasionally lift, carry, or otherwise move materials weighing up to 50lbs.
- Ability to maintain and enforce safety standards when working with participants.
Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Conservatory does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, lactation status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other protected status. The Conservatory values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.