Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Gottardo Lab at Fred Hutch is a research lab within the computational biology program focused on creating statistical methods and software tools to analyze high throughput biological data. In collaboration with bench scientists and clinicians we work to understand severe diseases such HIV, malaria, and cancer and ultimately help develop vaccines and/or a cure. You can learn more about the lab and lab members at http://rglab.org/
The Bioinformatics Analyst is responsible for working with our collaborators to provide data analyses and visualizations using our bioinformatics tools. The bioinformatics analyst position will work with a small team of bioinformatics specialists and developers to achieve our goal of using computational methods to understand complex diseases. A successful candidate will have experience in data cleaning, data analysis, generating visualizations, writing analyses summaries and abstracts, and managing time across various projects with different collaborators.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with research collaborators to gather requirements and create software processes and data analysis pipelines to meet their research goals
- Provide statistical analysis, data summaries, and visualizations for use in collaborating projects
- Participate in meetings and presentations with collaborating labs
- Write abstracts and summaries around computational methods
- Assist team with data management tasks such as data cleaning and data standardization
- BS degree in Biology, Statistics, Computer Science or related
- 3+ years of experience in software development, data engineering, data science, or related field with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets
- Some professional experience cleaning and analyzing biological assay data, e.g. flow cytometry, CytOF, single-cell genomics
- Proficiency in a modern programming language used in data science (e.g. R, Python, SAS, Matlab, Scala, Java, C++)
- Ability to learn new tools and content quickly and independently
- Strong oral and communication skills
- Experience using source code management and CI/CD solutions (e.g., Git, GitHub, Jenkins, GitLabCI)
- Experience doing reproducible analysis using tools like Rmarkdown or Jupyter notebooks
- Experience with application container solutions (e.g. Docker, Singularity)
- Experience with AWS services (e.g. EC2, S3, Batch, Lambda)
- Experience with workflow solutions (e.g. NextFlow, Airflow, Luigi, Cromwell)
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our HR Operations at HRops@fredhutch.org or by calling 206-667-4700.