Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
A Clinical Research Division laboratory, Kiem Lab, that studies hematopoietic stem cell and T cell biology is recruiting a Research Technician II/III to participate in projects focused on novel gene therapy and gene editing strategies for HIV cure. Using established preclinical and in vivo models of HIV persistence, the technician will optimize and perform diverse immunological assays, process primary tissue samples, and participate in novel assay development. Although the position will focus primarily on samples infected with HIV and related viruses, applying similar approaches for other diseases and pathologies will also be explored. The technician will work under the PI and a senior member of the laboratory, within a diverse team of technicians, graduate students, and post-graduate researchers.
- Bachelor’s degree required. A Master’s or equivalent degree is preferred.
- Research Technician II minimum qualifications – Intermediate level position requiring at least 3 years previous experience working in a laboratory and BA/BS. Independent research experience outside of laboratory course work is usually necessary.
- Research Technician III minimum qualifications- Senior level position requiring extensive experience in a laboratory. Generally, the incumbent will possess a Master’s degree in a related scientific field.
- The individual must have experience with multicolor flow cytometry
- Previous experience in infectious and/or genetic diseases, and a background in hematopoietic stem cell and/or T cell biology are highly desired
- Experience is preferred in one or more of the following areas: hematopoietic stem cell cultures/model systems, chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell manufacturing, in vivo studies, flow-assisted cell sorting, and/or molecular biology techniques e.g. quantitative PCR and plasmid cloning.
- Previous experience in gene therapy/gene editing, and/or basic bioinformatics is desired, but not required.
To be successful in this position, the candidate must be highly motivated and able to work independently to design and execute experiments, possess a high level of initiative and attention to detail, and must also be able to multi-task. Candidates with excellent organizational skills and communication skills (written and oral) are encouraged to apply.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in your career or that will be made through work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.