Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Warren Lab within the Clinical Research Division is looking for a highly motivated individual to perform standard and investigative laboratory work in support of scientific research by performing bench-level experiments, operating analytical instruments, recovering, compiling, and verifying the accuracy of research data; performing analyses and calculations; preparing charts, graphs, and summaries. The successful candidate will be involved in a variety of cutting edge cellular and molecular techniques to study human immune responses.
This is expected to be a long-term position and the successful applicant will help liaise with senior laboratory members. The incumbent will also contribute to multiple projects, with primary focus on the T-cell response to HIV-associated malignancies and Renal cell carcinoma. The successful applicant will ideally have a basic knowledge of immunology, experience in laboratory molecular biology skills, sterile technique, cell culture, biorepository, analysis of data, and be capable of maintaining detailed laboratory records.
In conjunction with the senior lab members, key duties will include:
- Help to schedule and coordinate experiments with other lab members and with collaborators
- Maintenance of laboratory reagents, stocks, media, and general lab cleanliness
- Participate in monitoring and execution of experimental plans surrounding lenti-viral production and potential surgery cases.
- A Bachelor’s degree with at least two years of professional lab experience in a related field with relevant techniques is required. A Master’s degree in a related field can substitute for two years of professional lab experience.
- Extensive tissue culture and molecular biology experience
- Experience with lenti-viral production and cell culture
- Demonstrated strong organization skills (including time management and experimental planning), and attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate well with multiple team members and work independently
- Ability to pass a background check required to work with radioactivity
- Demonstrated ability to undertake flow cytometry
- Experience with FlowJo or other flow analysis software
- Demonstrated ability to perform, design and interpret PCR results
- Experience with cell culture and BSL2+ working environments
- Basic understanding of biomedical research ethics
- Aseptic culture technique
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.