Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Fred Hutch Antibody Technology Resource is nationally recognized for its novel monoclonal antibody discovery platform. The facility supports Fred Hutch research labs across all five divisions, generating antibodies for basic science needs as well as clinical diagnostic and therapeutic applications. Other clients include regional academic research institutes and biotech companies. The lab has been completely updated over the past five years with cutting-edge instrumentation for antibody discovery including: Molecular Devices ClonePixII colony picker, IntelliCyt iQue Screener, AKTA Pure FPLC, Protein Simple WES capillary electrophoresis, Carterra and a $1.2M robot which automates significant parts of the antibody discovery process.
Our group is seeking a Research Technician IV who will work with the resource Director to run antibody discovery projects from initial design and immunization to monoclonal antibody purification and kinetic determination. The successful candidate must have a desire to learn new skills in order to complete all stages of this multidisciplinary process. The candidate will contribute to the team’s knowledge base through their expertise. This is a fast-passed, team-centric work environment which requires independence, organization, and time management skills. Specific responsibilities include:
- Engineering both antibodies and antigens, ideally including humanization.
- Running kinetic/binning experiments on antibodies using a Carterra Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) instrument
- Sequencing, cloning, expressing and purifying antibodies
- Screening antibodies using robotics and flow cytometry
- Generating hybridomas and/or culture B cells
- Immunizing animals
- Working with director to design antibody discovery campaigns
The successful candidate must be highly motivated, reliable, and independently productive. Specific qualifications include:
- BA/BS or MS degree in a scientific discipline with 5-15 years hands-on laboratory experience
- A proven ability to engineer proteins including antibodies
- Excellent molecular biology skills (PCR, cloning, transient transfection)
- An ability to transfect cells, ideally this would include through lentivirus
- An understanding of High Performance Liquid Chromatography and significant experience running an AKTA
- An understanding of protein kinetics and use of SPR instruments
- A willingness to learn how to perform screening, generate hybridoma and use robotics
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.